RIHLA #4


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois
October 3rd 2011
Published: October 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

1. I chose this particular article to learn more about because homelessness has become a way of life to many people. A lot of people in America are homeless and a lot of us don't know the real reasons why. While substance abuse may be the general reason as to why a lot of people are homeless. Homelessness is thrown under the bus. When we drive down the street, it is normal to see homeless people begging on the corners. It's almost as if you expect to see a homeless person. People in America have adapted and are used to seeing this. I wanted to know how substance abuse affects homeless people and how do they cope. Some have a hard time overcoming substance abuse and others live that life until they die.

2. I learned that substance abuse is the result of homelessness. People who become homeless due to their different circumstances, turn toward substance abuse as a means to cope and deal with their issues. Using drugs and alcohol helps them get their problems off their mind. However, this actually prohibits them from being able to become employed so they can get off the streets.

3. This relates to what we have done in class because in class we talked about the untouchables and homeless people are similar to the untouchables. Homeless people are at the bottom of the barrel, many people ignore them or pretend like they don't exist.

4. This article makes me want to help a lot of the homeless people in America. Sometimes you have to understand that not every person chose to become homeless. Some people went through a lot things before they became homeless. Not everyone who uses substance abuse is crazy. Some people just simply need help and want help but don't have anyone to go to. Reading this article helps me to appreciate my life and my parents for what I have and be thankful that I'm not in the same situation.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb