RIHLA #22


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
March 13th 2012
Published: March 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/09/opinion/bradshaw-benner-kony/index.html

The article I chose this week was titled "How Obama Should Stop Kony"

By now, many people have seen the video made by Invisible Children that shows the Lord's Resistance Army. The LRA is a rebel group in Uganda that has evolved into a brutal force that has abducted tens of thousands of civilians(mainly children), forcing them to serve as soldiers or sex slaves, has killed tens of thousands, and has displaced more than 2million in four African nations:Uganda, newly independent South Sudan, the democratic republic of Congo and the Central African Republic. The overall message of the Invisibe Children is to Arrest Kony: the leader of the LRA.

The article linked above sets out what the U.S. government needs to do to arrest Kony. Invisible children and its followers say it's an opportunity for the people's voice to be heard and to end the 25-year terrors that have been occuring because of the LRA/Kony. They want President Barack Obama to send out troops, equipment assistance, and want to help the affected communities recover.

*This current event relates toides that have been discussed in class before. I believe that this whole Kony movement is a way that people are now fighting for justice, just as the colonies did against the Britain/the King.

*The main solution, to arrest Kony and keep peace in Africa, would be the effect of Obama sending troops to Africa to stop Kony's madness (effect).

*some important questions that this article makes me think about are..

-Is this movement doing everything possible to get Kony arrested?

-Will they be able to arrest Kony since he has been all over the news and so many people know about him?

-Will Obama really spend all the money needed for supplies and troops to be deployed to Africa?

-And is this only to show the people that he does care and will listen to what many have to say?

-Will other LRA leaders take over after(or even if) Kony is gone?

-Will sending several troops to Africa to stop Kony provoke the same kinds of promises that were given to troops and their familis when they had been sent in Iraq?

-And can this spark tension/war among Africa and the U.S.?

-Is this all a scam, the information and news presented by Invisible Children,like some people have grown to believe?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb