RIHLA #21


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
March 6th 2012
Published: March 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

http://thecnnfreedomproject.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/28/lincolns-legacy-fights-modern-slavery/

Modern slavery is different because rather than what we know as the usual slave owners, plantations, and slaves working on the fields, this type of slavery is mainly sex trafficking. The people in charge of these "slaves" are getting a lot of money, dehmanizing the people they choose to enslave, and even using children against their own will. This movment of human sex traffickiing connects to the legacy of president Lincoln by slavery still going on today, just more secretly, and he was the one that supposedly abolished slavery. <br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.917969);" />The Polaris project is described to be hundreds of thousands of people are being forced to work at jobs they don’t want to do - in the commercial sex trade, on farms, in homes, in factories and elsewhere in the United States. They work for little or no pay and under constant threat of violence and even starvation. Their main goal is to help strenghthen federal laws against human trafficking. I think this project has a big goal and should be accomplished even thought it will be hard to do so because of how human trafficking is kept secret from the communities it is done in; also, people should not be forced to work or give themselves up for little or no pay at all.<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.917969);" />I agree with the article that human sex trafficking is a form of modern day slavery because people are being held against their will and are being forced into something they really do not want to do. The work they do also benefits the people in charge, kind of like slave/plantation owners from slavery.<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.917969);" />Other examples of modern day slavery can include people and children working in sweat shops, in third-world countries, for very little money: they have to work in poor conditions and very long hours for a couple of cents an hour.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb