Lipizzaner stallions


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Wauchula
February 16th 2012
Published: February 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The days go by so quickly, I can’t remember what I did.

Update on George. The transfusion helped but he is still in the hospital, 3rd day now. The DR doesn’t know what is causing his internal bleeding. So again we wait.



I took Oscar on a long nature walk this morning before it got too hot. (sorry you northerners) . It was about 1 ½ miles through the jungle / woods. There were signs along the way as to what we were seeing, trees, snakes and plants. There was a beautiful snake on the path that Oscar missed completely which was good. It was light brown with 2 black strips from head to tail, about 2 ½ ft long. I asked somebody and they said it was a garter snake. This is wild country so I must watch where Oscar goes carefully. We are right next to the Peace River so there are alligators and poisonous snakes around and one must watch.



Today is Lipizzaner day. It seems that the horses live near here all winter and travel in the summer so Thurs, Fri and Sat are practice days. The Lipizzaner is a stallion from Vienna saved from destruction by General George Patton during the war. They are primarily war horses ridden into battle by the generals. They rear up and jump so the general can see the battle better. They kick front and back legs, look out anyone nearby. They have been performing for years and I saw them 30 years ago in Philadelphia. They are beautifully moving animals, great steppers. I’ll let the pictures tell the story.



We came home and had happy hour and dinner and watched a huge motor home back into the very small and sandy spot next to Kat’s rig. That was our evenings entertainment.



Correction from several days ago. I mistakenly named the bird of prey that we have been seeing as a falcon. It is a red shouldered hawk. Picture yesterday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb