Info on American White Pelican


Advertisement
Published: March 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It turns out that we were really privileged to have seen the American White Pelican. They are the largest native bird to North America weighing from 11 to 20 lbs, it’s evident that they need a huge wing span to get that weight off the ground. The wing span, up to 120”, is second only to the California Condor. They can live up to 16 yrs in the wild.

These birds summer in Alberta and North West Territories of Canada with their southern most range in southwest WY. Which is where I saw them in 2010.

They winter in Panama and the Gulf Coast.

Unlike the brown pelican the white swims to catch fish, does not dive.

They live in fairly large colonies, sometimes using cooperative fishing techniques, sometimes fishing alone.

As they flew by we noticed that they were silent, unlike the Canadian Goose that honks the whole way. The only sound we heard was a slight noise from the air passing by the wings.

It was truly a beautiful sight as the sky was a dark blue and the birds were a stark white, especially with the sun reflecting from their feathers.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb