South Beach, Art Deco and Slums


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami
November 30th 2006
Published: December 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

G'Day All

Its been a while since our last blog but we have been busy trying to get buff and bronzed to fit into the Maimi scenery. We got into Miami after our disastrous flights from Honolulu to Dallas and then from Dallas to Miami. American Airlines don't supply any food to their flights and if you want food you have to pay an extra $5 for it. On top of that they offer headphones for an extra $2 and their seats are really uncomfortable and only recline about an inch. Ok, theres my complaining about American Airlines finished.

Our hostel in Miami was located right in the middle of the art deco area of South Beach which is where all the people with large cars and lots of money hang out on the weekend. Its kind of like Cottesloe beach on a Sunday on steroids. The art deo area has some really interesting architecture with all of the buildings resembling something from a 50's film.

We saw the majority of Miami via their public transport system which was rather good and unlike in Perth the bus drivers would help us out. We went to Little Havana (the Cuban district of Miami) and saw chickens crossing the road. Well not only chickens but a lot of Cubans that didn't speak a lick of English. We were looking for a cafe but we couldn't find it.

After this we took the K bus north of South Beach to a place we thought was close. It wasn't, and we ended up in another county and about 180 streets away from ours. Here we saw the future Donald Trump row of hotels (he already had 2) and a lot of what we thought were druglord mansions. This was different to the real Maimi which is where we found our car "the Tortoise". Its is a dark green Ford Taurus which Emma elequantly named 'the tortoise'.

We took our tortoise and made our way up the coast to Cape Canaveral to explore the Kennedy Space Station. We are about to use the second day of our 2 day pass to this theme park which is like one big Jerry Bruckheimer production.

On to Savannah later today to check out this historical town.

Ian, Emma and Nick




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb