The Best 10 Hour Layover Ever


Advertisement
Published: May 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Captain Paul PierceCaptain Paul PierceCaptain Paul Pierce

Driving past Atlanta Hawks' Celtics killer Josh Smith.
That would be Miami Beach, FLA. Arrived MIA ~7 am local time this morning, promptly board the Airport Express Flyer bus to Miami Beach, and was soon sitting down to breakfast at a deli that I frequented sometime in the last millenium. It used to be a strict Jewish deli. It is now Jewish-Cuban fusion but it works. I think the previous owner sold the business and retired to Florida where he was already living much to his chagrin.

As a bonus the deli had multiple TVs showing ESPN highlights of the Boston Celtics resounding and pivotal game 2 road victory over the pesky Atlanta Hawks. A vintage performance from Paul Pierce (36 points, 14 rebounds) offest the loss of Rajon Rondo (suspension) and Ray Allen (ankle). Boston is now 5-1 this season without their opening day starting backcourt tandem. Not too shabby...

Also not at all shabby is the free WiFi at the Miami Beach Public Library. I walked around in vain in the already-by-9 am-stifling heat looking for a cafe with WiFi and eventually found the library. Unlike Sea-Tac Airport, Miami Interntional does not offer free WiFi to travelers.

Currently drinking a fresh mango smoothie close to the So Beach action on Washington @ Lincoln. I'll be heading back to MIA after lunch. My 9+ hour flight to Madrid departs at 5:40 pm and tomorrow morning I'll connect to Prague arriving 1:15 pm local time.

Ciao (been using my time here para hablar español).

Jon

Advertisement



2nd May 2012

Glad to hear you're giving your español a bit of a workout!
We in the US are indeed blessed by having truly free WiFi in our airports. What's up with Europe not getting on board with that. During my past couple of trips I took advantage of free WiFi at Mickey D's, which, in a pinch is also a reliable pit stop. I wonder if Ronald McDonald has invaded Russia--you will doubless soon find out. Breaking News: Dan from our Winter TESL class job has a solid job offer in Taiwan at a school where he will provide teacher IT support; Annie is evaluating several responses to her search for TESL jobs in Taiwan.
2nd May 2012

Woo Hoo
Leave it to you to see a 10-hr layover so positively....but I guess when you're on an endless vacation it's all about enjoying the journey....Look forward to your next post.
5th May 2012

Mango smoothie? Bonus!
...

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb