Party In The City When The Heat Is On


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami Beach
August 15th 2007
Published: August 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The heat certainly is on in Miami - 82 degrees when we arrived at 1.00am! We managed to miss our flight from Chicago due to a bus replacement service and a very slow train journey but our sad faces and English accents seemed to persuade the nice man from American Airlines to let us on the next one for free instead of charging us again. Very handy! And we got to watch Shrek 3 on the plane so all good.

Miami is a great place, lots of bars and restaurants and a really good atmosphere everywhere you go. The place we stayed was fab - it used to be a casino run by Al Capone and it was where they filmed the pilot episode of Miami Vice. They also shot some scenes from True Lies there too apparently but we didn't see anyone famous when we were there 😞

We spent a bit of time wandering along Ocean Drive where all the pretty pastel coloured Art Deco buildings are - looks very cool at night when they're all lit up. It is also where Gianni Versace lived (and got killed) and his house is amazing. We also made it to South Beach with the beautiful white sand, blue seas and palm trees.

For a change of scenery we headed out to the Everglades and went on one of those comedy airboats through the wetlands. We managed to see two alligators, some turtles and some pretty looking birds as well as endless views of the grasses and trees. We also saw a wildlife show where some man wrestled an alligator, showed us a skunk and some ugly looking toad and at the end we held a 4 year alligator and had our photos taken - how brave are we?! It felt kind of weird and slimy and luckily it had it jaws strapped! We also did a little city tour through downtown Miami and the financial district, and through the posh neighbourhoods of Coconut Grove and Coral Gables. We saw the manmade islands which house all the celebrities and the place where they filmed Scarface.

We have been out as much as our travelling budgets will allow and have been helped in our drinking cause by a fridge in our room and a cheap liquor store at the end of the road - like true Brits abroad we have been able to sneak in a few before hitting the bar! Good work! We will, however, be coming back to Miami when it's a bit cooler and we're a bit richer so that we can party like proper celebrities in South Beach. Who wants to join us?!

Next stop Savannah - first stage of our tour of the Southern states!


Advertisement



18th August 2007

Nice nice nice
Sounds good as ever there. It's hot here too, but not that hot! Glag y'all having a great time still. You're really motoring onwards now! Good progress. Keep bloggin'.

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb