And All That Jazz


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
August 11th 2007
Published: August 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Overnight bus journeys are not the way forward - especially not when you have a two hour delay in Detriot in the middle of the night! Anyway....we made it to Chicago and arrived at our hostel - I don't think there are words to describe it! On the plus side, it was clean(ish) and two blocks from the subway but on the down side you couldn't lock the door to your room, there were no lockers to keep your stuff, the showers were on a different floor and we had some mad woman in our room who held a conversation with herself all night long! Happy days.

So, we have spent as much time as possible outside of the buggy hostel and in hot and humid Chicago. We have been on a boat tour up the Chicago River and out on to Lake Michigan and learnt all about the architecture here. We have also been window shopping on the Magnificent Mile - Chicago's answer to Bond Street - and got given some free mascaras! We went up to the bar at the top of the John Hancock Center (2nd tallest building here) where the view is free if you buy a drink - I'll have a nice glass of wine please! We wandered through Millenium Park with all its modern art sculptures and went the Arts Institute (it was free) for a quick browse and some air-conditioning!

We also spent a nice few hours in Lincoln Park Zoo checking out the giraffes, polar bears, penguins and other cool creatures. We watched the seals getting fed and went on a journey through Africa and saw a warthog. It was just like being kids for the day - great fun!

Navy Pier was our stop for Friday night entertainment and it's a really nice place; good atmosphere and a 70s disco tribute act playing at the end of the pier! We treated ourselved to Smirnoff Snow Cones and had a wander, went to the Stained Glass Window Museum (seriously) and had a nice dinner with cocktails at Bubba Gumps....run Forrest run!

Tonight we are flying down to Miami and we'll be staying near South Beach - should be good! Thanks all for your emails - keep them coming! Lots of love from Chicago - the fattest city in America!


Advertisement



14th August 2007

I want dinner there too!!!!!
Alright our kid! Hope you two are having a wwwicked time, looks like you are except for the nutter in the room with no locks!!!! Me and H tried to get into Buibba Gumps in New YOrk but it was monster busy!! Was it nice?? Fill me in and stay safe the pair of you P xxx

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb