St. Augustine - Great Entry to Florida


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Jacksonville
December 5th 2005
Published: December 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

While they are efficient and we can’t do without them, Interstate Highways are infinitely boring! In need of a break from the monster road and seeking a good slug of scenic local highway, we exited I-95 just south of Jacksonville and headed for coastal highway A1A and the Guana River State Park and Ponte Vendra Beach areas. What a treat! Wild dunes, shell-filled beach, and only a few people enjoying this spot on a sunny Sunday afternoon. One couple was surf casting and a young family was playing in the sand. That was it for miles in both directions! There were several pull off parking lots with boardwalks and stairs to the beaches along the scenic route. After our beach break, we continued south on A1A and wound through the more commercial part of St. Augustine on our way to an RV park near St. Augustine Beach. Maybe we were tired, but we didn’t get too excited about our introduction to the town. However, everything deserves a second chance, and on Monday morning we drove back into town, parked, and hopped on a “Guided Tour Train.” The tour was a great introduction to St. Augustine, and the city far exceeded our expectations. Wes remembered being here in the mid-1950s on a trip with his Grandparents and his sister Marge. I remember stopping by on the way to “Spring Break” in Daytona Beach in 1963. Wes remembered visiting the impressive Castillo de San Marcos back on his first visit. I can see why it would live in a young person’s memory. Great view of the harbor, cannons, a moat, and walls so thick and strong that soldiers would go out in the morning to collect the cannon balls that had bounced off the native stone (made of sand, mollusk shells, and calcite) when fired on by the enemy during the night. The soldiers graciously returned the cannon balls by return fire. Unlike that first trip to the Fort, this one gave us an opportunity to buy a Golden Pass for a person over 62 and his/her guest. The $10 fee carries a lifetime of free admissions to all National Parks for the bearer. Very cool - we are just starting a new habit - asking if there is a consideration for people over 50. So often there is. As for St. Augustine, we will definitely return and spend more time in this town.
December 5, 2005


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb