Florida's Gainsville to Hawthorne Trail


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Gainesville
January 24th 2013
Published: January 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Gainesville to Hawthorne Trail – Gainesville, Florida






Text and Photos last updated: 2015

Number of times I have biked this trail: 6



Location: Gainesville, Florida

Distance: 25 km (15.5 miles)

Distance markers: yes

Surface: asphalt

Width: 3 metres

Grade: Flat with a few hills

Conditions of trail: good

Parking: yes

Water: none on trail

Washrooms: yes

Garbage containers: at covered picnic areas

Rest Areas: yes

Trail marking: yes


Parking and location of Trail.



Gainesville - Boulware Springs Park is at 3500 SE 15th Street where there is lots of parking and a washroom. Follow signs to the trail. A section of the trail heads into Gainesville but I have not taken this route.



Lochloosa trailhead is at 7209 SE 200th Drive. From Hawthorne, take Route 2082 west, and then turn left on SE 200th Drive. Park where the trail intersects the road.





Hawthorne trailhead is at 300 SW Second Avenue. Take US Highway 301 south through Hawthorne and follow the brown to the trailhead.



Starting from Boulware Springs Park, the first 3 or 4 km are not “rails to trails” as the trail has a number of short hills and many sharp corners where you need to control your speed. The trail continues to roughly parallel state road 20.



The trail passes through an environmentally sensitive protected area (Paynes Prairie State Preserve).



There are a couple of overlooks (prairie and a wetland) that are off the trail.



There is one portable bathroom close to the Gainesville area.



At Hawthorne there is a large parking lot, a water fountain and a picnic table.



There is a good amount of shade and numerous covered seating areas.



(Note: for an earlier and abbreviated description of this trail, see the blog “Biking trip to Florida, Alabama and Georgia” in this section. That trip was in 2008)



(Note: click on a photo to enlarge it and to see the rest of the photos for this trail)


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb