Florida's (longest) Withlacoochee Trail


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
January 24th 2013
Published: January 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Withlacoochee State Trail – Ridge Manor to Dunnellon Florida between Ocala and Tampa)





Text and Photos last updated: 2017

Number of times I have biked this trail: 6



Location: Hernando, Inverness, Floral City, Brooksville area

Distance: 75 km (46 miles)

Distance markers: yes

Surface: asphalt

Width: 3.5 metres (12 feet)

Grade: Flat

Condition of trail: very good

Parking: yes

Water: yes

Washrooms: yes

Garbage containers: yes

Rest Areas: yes

Trail marking: yes



Of the 50 or so trails that we have biked, the Withlacoochee would rank in the top 10 for certain and perhaps in the top 5 (For some top 5 see Tay Shore, Petit Train du Nord and Silver Comet – in this blog)



There are many access points and parking, but I will list just a few starting from the south end.



Mile 0 at the south end is on US301. There is only a table and parking here.



Trilby Junction trailhead is a few miles north (GPS co-ordinates: N28 26.752 W 082 11.334)
Withlacoochee TrailWithlacoochee TrailWithlacoochee Trail

Crossing highway 50 at Ridge Manor at mile 6.
and once again only provides parking. It is one mile west of US 301/98, on CR 575 in Trilby.





Ridge Manor Trailhead is the largest and best equipped of the staging areas and easy to get to:

From Interstate 75, go east on US 98/50 approximately 2 km to Croom Rital Road (three lights). Take a left and proceed to trailhead about 500 metres ahead (GPS: N28 31.601 W 82 13.121.) Here you will find a very large parking lot, washrooms, and a watering station for horses, as well as large detailed map of the trail. Ridge Manor Trailhead is at mile 6.





Floral City at 8294 East Orange Avenue and highway 41 , beside Hampton’s Edge bike shop(GPS:N28 43.534 W 82 17.760) has a covered pavilion, a portable toilet, a bike shop, public library and food all within sight of the trail. From mile 0 to Floral City is also the most interesting part of the trail as it is also the most rural and it does not parallel any busy roads.





Inverness is the largest town located on the trail. The Central Motel (721 US 41, phone 352-726-4515) is located on the trail and offers a bike lockup. The staging area is on North Apopka Ave (can’t miss it – look for the red caboose at GPS: N28 50.435, W 82 19.841) There is also a bike shop on the trail across from the parking lot.



In Hernando, there is a public park with washrooms and tables right on the trail and just ahead is one of two water fountains on the trail (the other one is at Floral City)



Parking and washrooms are also located at Citrus Springs just off US41 on South Citrus Springs Blvd at roughly mile 40 (GPS: N28 58.322, W 82 26.643)



The trail ends at Gulf Junction Trailhead which is just south of Dunnellon on Magenta Drive north of Haitian Avenue (GPS: N29 01.642, W82 28.283). There is a large parking lot, washrooms and picnic area.



This trail has equal amounts of shade and open areas. The trail is very smooth and wider than most trails. There is a separate, parallel trail for equestrians. There are numerous containers for garbage along the route.



There are covered rest areas approximately every 3 km (2 miles) and a total of 256 bird houses (blue birds?) along the 46 miles!

The trail is well marked with good maps at each parking area, covered rest areas every few miles with garbage cans and the mileage (N-S and S-N) painted on the pavement.



There are frequent stops with washrooms and water and enough towns and villages that food is also never far away. The trail also passes through recreation areas, wilderness areas and areas with swimming.



This is Florida’s longest paved trail and should not be missed!

(Note: click on a photo to enlarge it and to see the rest of the photos for this trail)




Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Withlacoochee Trail Withlacoochee Trail
Withlacoochee Trail

Owensboro (southern) trailhead Mile 0
Withlacoochee Trail Withlacoochee Trail
Withlacoochee Trail

a few km south of Floral City
Withlacoochee Trail Withlacoochee Trail
Withlacoochee Trail

3 km south of floral city
Withlacoochee Trail Withlacoochee Trail
Withlacoochee Trail

Foral City trailhead
Withlacoochee Trail  (15)Withlacoochee Trail  (15)
Withlacoochee Trail (15)

Secure bike lock up at Motel in Inverness
Withlacoochee Trail Withlacoochee Trail
Withlacoochee Trail

Owensboro Trailhead


Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb