Palm Trees and Deserts.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Fort Lauderdale
December 20th 2014
Published: May 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Lisa's PlaceLisa's PlaceLisa's Place

Our home for a week in Fort Lauderdale
Theresa was to happenstance upon a cheap deal aboard a cruise ship that would leave tomorrow!

Not typically our style, but hey, why not? The ship left from the Port of Miami and spent four days in the Gulf of Mexico, docking at a couple of places before its return. It was very relaxing and a nice break from internet and cell phones. The ship was incredible, like a floating city at sea with its own shopping mall, casino, art gallery, bars, restaurants, theatres, swimming pools, water slides and Jacuzzis. We did enjoy the sun decks and the live game-shows, and we did both have a wee little flutter at the casinos – and came out even! And, of course, the food was wonderful! And plentiful! One thing with ships is that there is always food available in vast quantities. Prime roasts and seasoned vegetables lay in the shadows of an avenue of exotic eastern dishes. Fresh fruit, cold cuts and cheeses sprawled across the buffet bar, interspersed with lush, golden salads, replete with slices of garnished radish. Twinkling pastries and sparkling cakes twirled within a chocolate merry-go-round, spattered with droplets of rum and basted with swirls of syrup. Enchanting Turkish delights, entombed in crystals of sugar, filled fine china bowls as a sapphire unicorn, resplendent with jewels, whispered elegant soliloquies among fountains of fondue, rivers of deliciousness, islands of taste and cascades of pleasure… Discard the last sentence, but you get the idea that we were spoiled on the ship.

Food however, was not the primary reason we were down in this neck of the woods. It was school. Dave had to go to a marine academy (boat school) for a week to learn about safety in a marine environment (boat stuff). The aforementioned school, by chance, was in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Since we’d already travelled thousands of miles, it would be a shame not to spend a wee bit extra time in the sunny confines of the south eastern US – the cruise though, was not part of our original plan. Neither was the flight...

At the airport gate the announcement was made for Platinum Club Members to board first, followed by Gold Club Members. Ruby Alliance Members were then called up - we hadn't heard of Ruby before... Finally, as usual, we boarded last, we assume that's because we are Organic Brown Club Members or something similar!?

We then flew off to Las Vegas and gambled away our life savings. We will never be travelling again as we are bankrupt!? All of our cash has been consumed by hungry one-armed bandits as they swallowed up coin after coin and banknote after banknote!... This will be our final Travelblog...

Not really! We were very well behaved at the casinos and came out a little better off than we were before!

In our rental, we drove out to Red Rock Canyon, then drove a few hours north to Reno to visit friends. We then flew off in different directions...


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Blow HoleBlow Hole
Blow Hole

Cozumel Island, Mexico


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb