Everglades National Park


Advertisement
Published: March 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We just had a quick visit at the Everglades National Park (Feb. 2010). Unfortunately we only had a couple days but still got a good taste of the landscape. We drove down to Naples, FL, across the Tamiami Trail, stayed in Homestead, and then went through Everglades National Park to Flamingo. The highlight of the trip was probably kayaking up the canal next to the marina in Flamingo. There we were able to kayak near many manatees and also see crocodiles (one of the only areas in the U.S. to see them). If you go to the Everglades one must is taking in the sunset as it will be beautiful from many different vantage points. The Tamiami Trail is good for seeing alligators, particularly near the visitors center. I wouldn't necessarily recommend staying in Homestead, if you have other options you should probably take them. A fun stop is definitely at "Robert is Here" fruit stand--before you enter the National Park on Hwy 9336/Ingraham Hwy. We met Robert and his son "Little Robert" actually ran behind the counter to make us a special drink made with sugar cane, ginger, and lime. If you get this same drink I would recommend it without the ginger! But, the orange juice there is amazing and the fresh fruit shakes and fresh cut mangoes are delicious. Inside the park, the Anhinga Trail just past the Visitor's Center is nice particularly just before sunset--many gators and anhinga birds there. If I were to go back to the Park I would like to take a few days to kayak down the west side of the coast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

CrocodileCrocodile
Crocodile

One of the only places in the U.S. to see a crocodile . . . at the tip of Florida


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb