Kauai, Hawaii


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
March 7th 2010
Published: March 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

NaPali CoastNaPali CoastNaPali Coast

Hard to beat this view!
We were able to hit up Kauai for 4 days on our recent visit to Hawaii (Jan. 2010). It was my 2nd trip back to Kauai . . . this time I skipped the one day full Kalalau Trail hike and took it a little easier. We stayed at the retro (and cheap) Kauai Sands hotel in Kapaa. By the time we left there the traffic was backed up for miles because of work on a bridge . . . something that was anticipated to stay that way for quite a while. There is nothing special about Kapaa but it is a centrally located place if you have a limited amount of days and are trying to get around to see most of the island. In our four days we wondered around Hanalei, kayaked on the Hanalei River, spent a couple afternoons on Poipu Beach, watched the sunset at Polihale Beach, visited the Waimea Canyon, took in the views of the NaPali coast from Koke'e State Park, and hit Jo Jo's shave ice in Waimea multiple times. Kauai is a great place to be both active (hiking, kayaking, snorkeling) and for relaxing (time on the beach, nice drives). In the winter the south side of the island around Poipu is really the best and only place to snorkel. When I was there in the summer on the last visit snorkeling was great all-around the island--Tunnels Beach and Ke'e were very nice. I think a must in visiting Kauai is spending time on the north side of the island where the vegetation is more lush and where the cliffs dominate the landscape. If you are fit and can conquer the Kalalau Trail you will remember it for a lifetime. Trust me on the Berry Berry shave ice from Jo Jo's in Waimea--it has three kinds of berry flavoring and vanilla cream that makes it amazing :-). I would also highly recommend hikes around the Canyon and in Koke'e State Park. Other things worth stopping for are the Kilauea lighthouse, the guava plantation near the lighthouse, and a stop at Hanalei Bay. There are so many great things to see and do in Kauai that you won't be at a loss when you go!


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Pizza from the Brick Oven in KalaheoPizza from the Brick Oven in Kalaheo
Pizza from the Brick Oven in Kalaheo

Not bad pizza but too expensive
Shave IceShave Ice
Shave Ice

This was from Paradise Shave Ice in Hanalei.
Ke'e BeachKe'e Beach
Ke'e Beach

The Kalalau Trail starts behind this beach


Tot: 0.458s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 27; qc: 128; dbt: 0.1198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb