Up, Up and Away


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Clermont
February 8th 2015
Published: February 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We rose before the crack of dawn to go on a bucket list adventure. Ginnie has wanted to go hot air ballooning for years and this was the day! Pat has always wanted to go too so she arrived just in time to join us. Pat and I met Ginnie and we arrived at the meeting place to catch the balloon people. We then drove to another shopping center and met 5 other balloonists who were going to take off from the same field. Our outfit had a Conock camper and they towed a box trailer with the balloon and basket in it. We all climbed in the camper and as we were traveling signed our lives away. When we got to the launch field it was just cracking dawn and quite chilly so we opted to stay in the camper while the crew got the balloon out and started inflating it. Five balloons take up a lot of room to set up and it looked like mayhem out there. They started putting air in the balloons with a giant fan and when it gets to a certain size they add heat to it and slowly the balloon starts to rise off the ground. This is a delicate process with the balloon on it's side and a flame that wants to be straight up. It looked like the ropes holding the balloon to the base would burn a time or two but they didn't and later I discovered they were wire. Brilliant!



Everything from there went really fast, get in the basket and off you go. We didn't even realize we lifted off till the earth started getting further away. We drifted very slowly over the field gaining a little altitude with 3 balloons in front of us. There was a lake at the edge of the field and we could see the reflection of the other balloons and I wondered if they were going to touch the water then get higher. But no, they just drifted across the lake and got a little higher.



I have to give you a little description of our basket. It is indeed a wicker basket weighing 500 lbs with a base of what looked like plastic about 2 or 3 inches thick. They still use wicker because it flexs so well so when you land and bounce 3 or 4 times the basket takes the shock, not you. We found out how well it worked. There are 4 of us in this tiny basket with 2 huge containers of fuel, leaving just enough room to stand up and watch the world go by. It was very tight.



We drifted over forests, housing developments, highways and it was clear enough that we could see Disney World, can't fly over that since 9-11. We went up and down, changing altitude dictated what direction we went in. At 3000 ft, our highest, the wind was stronger and pushed us in a more easterly direction. At lower altitudes we went much slower and took a more northerly course. We ended up drifting right over the Thousand Trails Campground,where I had stayed just a few days ago. Ginnie called her friend in the park and they came out in the road and waived to us, great fun.



We saw a deer, cattle, horses and areas that were sink holes that had filled in with vegatation but ringed with trees. Very interesting.



The other ballonists were in contact with our Captain Kirt all the time and they seemed obcessed about finding a field to land in. There are so many new developments that some of their favorite fields are now off limits. Our pilot saw a field and said we were coming down fast to make that field. It was behind some houseing development and was a soccer field with road access but we drifted too far to the right and had to put it down in a water retention area that luckly was dry at the time. What a stir we caused in that development early on a Sunday morning. I have never seen so many people in pajamas and silk bathrobes in my life. Well here we were, a hot air balloon landing in their back yard so quietly, we just snuck up on them. The 4 of us had to stay in the basket or we'd take off again maybe landing on the house so we just stood there waiting for the ground crew to find us. It's hard for them to miss a huge balloon sticking out of a development but getting there is sometimes a trick. Our pilot had to put a little more heat in the balloon so the ground crew, 2 women, could walk us up the incline to the top of the basin. We were able to get out there and slowly the balloon deflated and was rolled up into a very small carry bag. Amazing.



We all had a fabulous experience and had grins on our faces the rest of the day. We had great confidence in our pilot, Kurt Peterson, so all we had to do was enjoy the ride. And what a ride it was, worth every penny.



By the time we got back to the camper it was 11:15 and we had to be packed up and out of the park by 1pm. It was a little hectic but we made it with a few noteworthy incidents.



I had the camper at the sewer dump station and there were 2 older women in a 5th wheel next to me and no sooner had they started dumping that the hose came loose from the camper and was spewing dirty water all over the pavement. What a mess, and the lady says "good thing it's just the gray water tank" meaning the sink water not the toilet water. There are some blessings in life. This was only her 2nd time dumping, sure hope she gets it right next time.



Then I met Pat with the car to hook it to the camper and another camper was doing the same thing. He got all done and started to pull away and we hear rubber squeeling on the road. He is dragging his Jeep 20 ft down the road before he figured something was wrong. He didn't get it in neutral. Oh the world is frought with danger.



We headed out and found our way to Alafia River State Park which will be our new home for the next week. We quickly got out our chairs, made a cocktail and enjoyed the beautiful afternoon sun and reminised about our adventures of the day. We decided to go out for dinner and found an Outback Steak House and had a great meal. Back at camp, it was time for Downton Abby and sleep. What a great day.

there are 19 pictures so don't forget to scroll down.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



11th February 2015

So Jealous!!
This is the coolest thing--take me with you next time!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb