Washington D.C.


Advertisement
Published: March 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

If someone asks me what it feels like to be in the capital of a great country like USA,my answer would be towards 'Gardens and Museums'.Ofcourse needless to say one can not ignore the popularity of the White House,Capital Hill and Pentagon,but what is not widely advertised is that DC houses some of the finest Museums.A visit to the Smithsonians is worth its adoration.If you are a history buff visit the Smithsonian Museum of Natural Art and History.It speaks of civilizations of different eras,right from Pre-Historic to Mesozoic to Modern Medieval.You will find a culmination of world history-from Indus to Egyptian and from Mayan to Roman.For those Zoologists and kids alike there are Dinosaurs,stuffed mammals and animal kingdom dazing at you in its truest manifestation.

But most of all and I believe the biggest attraction in the museum is its collection of rare and precious stones.This is where you will find Nepoleon's gift of Emerald Garland to his wife,Maharani of Gwalior's Ruby Necklace and Earrings,Emperor of Spains Spectre and in it's populance and most finest in stones,the Hope Diamond.Besides this you will see countless collections of crystals and quartz from the globe.

For those men who fancy Aircrafts,a must visit is the Smithsonian Museum of Space and Science.All that man has achieved till date,from an actual replica of Wright Bros. first flight to the latest stealth fighters is on display.Also of interest are the WW1 and WWII fighter jets.There is a special section that demonstrates the journey of Man to space,the Soviet launches are mentioned too!!

Then there are the Museum of African History,the Ceramic Museum and Museum of American History.A few blocks from the Museum are the Vietnam and Korean War Memorials on the banks of the Potomac River.

Washington D.C. is also the house of the US Treasury and Senate.The city houses many colonial buildings.I often spot the Washington Memorial and the Capitol Hill when I fly between NJ and NC and my small Embraer Jet flies at about 12,000 ft over D.C.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb