D.C.'s Cherry Blossom Festival


Advertisement
Published: May 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The cherry blossoms in Washington, D.C. were a gift from Japan, symbolizing friendship, and the first batch arrived in 1912. The annual Cherry Blossom Festivals began in 1935 and we received a second batch of trees 1965. The trees are located along the Potomac River and around the Tidal Basin and so are in easy walking distance from D.C.'s monuments.

They only bloom for about two weeks every year and it's impossible to estimate the exact time of perfect viewing. The best estimates for Peak Bloom come about ten days before it happens, so it can be tough to plan a trip to D.C. months in advance and ensure that you'll be in town for the Peak Bloom Date.

We drove into D.C. on Palm Sunday and wandered through the national monuments and beneath the cherry trees amongst the crowds excited about the bright, blue day and the pretty, pink blossoms. Enjoy the photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The Tulip LibraryThe Tulip Library
The Tulip Library

The Tulip Library is part of D.C.'s National Parks Service.
The Korean War Veterans MemorialThe Korean War Veterans Memorial
The Korean War Veterans Memorial

A reflection of me in the Memorial, along with the faint etchings of Korean War soldiers.


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb