Day 11 - Washington DC


Advertisement
Published: May 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Capitol BuildingCapitol BuildingCapitol Building

The only decent photo we managed to get so far....just to prove we really are here!!!
Day 11 – Thursday – Washington DC (Well in actual fact Silver Springs, MD...just over the border!!!

Well I don't have a WHOLE heap to report tonight....we made the drive from Niagara down to Washington DC. Nothing much to say except for it was tedious! Hhehee. We copped some rain the first few hours and road works EVERYWHERE...we lost count of how many we passed through.

Given all that, I think we hit our hotel by about 4 ish, so rested for a wee bit, then decided to see the sights (very briefly!) by night as we drove through (John is our "driver extrordinairre"!). We also stopped and had dinner in China Town (we cant help ourselves!!).

Tomorrow we plan on seeing all the sights in all their glory. Hopefully it all looks a bit nicer by daylight, as we were surprised at how uhmmm (how to put this nicely!) run down and littered the city seemed when we got in...(email me for the non politically correct version of events, I wont post it here!!).


Anyway, given there's not much to say, here's a few random comments and answers to a few questions we've had:

* There are a LOT of toll roads over here (I guess we're luck in Western Australia as we dont have any, I know Melbourne & Sydney have a handful).

* There are a LOT of trucks on the roads and i mean ALOT, oh and by trucks, I dont mean the 4wds/SUVs that every second American seem to have, I mean the lorrys/transportation trucks - they're not far off outnumbering the passenger cars on the interstates!

* I already have the worst mish mash of accents and phrasings i'm using - it's a lovely Aussie/English/American blend (from spending time with John & Jen and also being over here!).

* Nope, us Aussies (and English) dont have yellow cabs or school busses nor do we have brown paper bags - so we find it hilarious that it's just like in the movies!

* As for the squirrels, well I guess we have them in some places, but I dont ever recall ever seeing one in a park back home, only at the zoo.

* For the half a dozen people that asked, nope I dont have the recipe for the Milky Way martini, but i'm sure Deb will email it to me

* If you're viewing the blogs, and want to see the photos in more details, you can click on them and it will bring up a larger version

* Dont forget to feel free to email us - deanandsarahintheusofa@hotmail.com - we are having heaps of fun, but it's still ni e to get updates on what's happening at home

* And finally.....GO THE EAGLES!!!!!!!




"Dean's Details"Washington DC is more like the Bronx than the Bronx is!!





Advertisement



12th May 2007

Lots of things
"Squirrels inhabit every continent except Australia and Antarctica" ... courtesy of Google ... We have the "Yellow Cab Company" in brisbane BUT they are painted ORANGE!! lol ...we have school buses but they are disguised as normal buses...yellow buses remind me of "Dirty Harry".... and we used to have brown paper bags until the plastic revolution .... maybe we shud revert ....the trip all sounds great.....love your comments, Dean!!

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb