A Little Bit of Fun in DC


Advertisement
Published: January 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

National ShrineNational ShrineNational Shrine

Front of the building.
Had a lot of meetings so only had a little free time to go off and see some sites. Hadn't been to the National Shrine to the Immaculate Conception at Catholic University in a while so on Friday a friend and I headed out for a look. It's the classic Catholic cathedral. Very beautiful but bordering on over the top. Huge, massive structure. It's supposedly the largest church in the Western Hemisphere and the 7th largest religious structure in the world (according to wikipedia)! Very beautiful inside with strong gold colors. There is a crypt in the basement as well with a cafeteria and gift shop. It's a fairly new church having only been finished in the late 1950s. If you're in DC and looking for some site seeing outside the Mall area, you should go take a look. It's right on Metro so very easy to get to. Definitely worth a look. When I used to live in DC, I went to church there a few times.

Then, last night, a group of us headed out to a Nationals game. Not a whole lot of people in attendance so we were able to change seats by moving down a
National ShrineNational ShrineNational Shrine

Picture showing its massive size.
few rows. It was a great game but the Nationals ended up losing to San Diego 5-2. President Bush was also apparently in attendance. It will be so great when they get out of RFK Stadium, though. It's just not made for baseball and is in pretty bad disrepair.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

National Shrine InteriorNational Shrine Interior
National Shrine Interior

Shows some of the incredible detail.
National Shrine InteriorNational Shrine Interior
National Shrine Interior

One of the shrines inside.


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 99; dbt: 0.1255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb