June 6 Kent, CT to Silver Hill Campsite, CT 10.2 miles


Advertisement
Published: June 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After some wonderful rest and visiting we are back to the trail. The ride up was uneventful. The weather outlook for the next few days is fair and I have new shoes without holes in them. Warm weather greeted us as we pulled our things from the trunk. Hugs all the way around, goodbyes said and in a cloud of dust (kind of) we were back on our own headed north. One of the things we did yesterday was maintain our gear and I tested an idea for lessening my load.

Many solo hikers use an alcohol stove for cooking. They are simple, light and the fuel is readily available along the trail by the ounce. They are easy to build and cheap. All you need are two soda cans. Just Google "soda can stove" and the rest is easy. I followed the instructions and after a couple of false starts (poor measuring device) I had a working model. Some tests on the time needed to boil 45 degree water (about the temp of mountain spring water) needed for our meals. I found out for two people the thing was impractical. Too long of a boil time and the need for too much fuel. Still a great little thing for one, so we still have our butane stove with us. My test stove is in a box being mailed back home with my last pair of boots. I'll try to repair them at home and use them for work, only 400 + a few miles on them. No need to trash them yet. Did I say I'm frugal or is that cheap?

Like most towns, Kent is at the bottom of a hill. Up the mountain we chugged, so much for that fresh out of the shower smell. Our plan was to go seven miles to the first shelter and call it a short day. 800' up over "Caleb's Peak" then down across "St John's Ledges" dropping 700' to the Housatonic River. The ledges proved not as bad as the south bounders made them out to be. They did however make for some fine video clips. Once these things get set on the internet, we know you will have a much better look at what the AT is like. Some things a still picture just cannot convey as well as moving pictures.

There were plenty of weekend hikers and walkers along the river. Kayaks and canoes were being paddled down the river to enjoy this wonderful weather after a few days of rain. Temperature touched the mid 70s by our lunch stop. Glad we had light shirts and shorts on. To protect us from mosquitoes and ticks we slap on the bug juice as needed. We have had no tick problems since leaving NJ where they were the worst.

We made the shelter by 3:15 and after a short break chose to move on to the next campsite. Here in CT we are restricted to posted shelters and campsites only, no primitive camping along the trail. CT is not very hiker friendly in this area. We do understand as the closeness of large populations, unrestricted use would mean more abuse of this wonderful garden of the Lord's. Five miles of today’s walk was almost level walking along the river. The last 3/4 mile was the normal hump up 550' worth of elevation gain.

We made the site by 4:45PM. We had been told the old styled hand pump for the well worked, but needed some coaxing. 30 pumps of the handle and we had water pouring out of the thing. We were not told it was quite so murky. After filling our new water bags the water was filtered into our cook pot for supper. After supper it was a filter from one container to the next until all we needed was to treat it with chlorine.

This is a fine site with the dining on a deck overlooking the trees and valley. There is even a nice porch type swing. We have mastered the camera enough to get our own picture of us both swinging using the timer function. After three years we might have things just about worked out. We got to bed late last night. Tonight we are alone here with only the birds singing and the faint sound of a country road way below us somewhere. CC is asleep I think and I will soon follow. It is just dusk about 8:30. Tomorrow 12 miles to the next camp, the day after 11 miles to town for resupply by mail. Only two and a half days left in CT.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost

For Photos and Video: http://odandccslongwalk.shutterfly.com/

OD and CC have been marking their path with a GPS using SPOT Satellite Messenger and can be tracked at the following link. It keeps track of their last 7 days: http://tinyurl.com/o2g53z

Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb