June 7 Silver Hill Campsite, CT to Belter's Campsite, CT 12 Miles


Advertisement
Published: June 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Quiet night alone on the mountain. I did see the moon through the trees once when I woke up to adjust my bag. We sleep with one half the fly door open on each side when we can. This prevents condensation from breathing and sweating overnight. We were up by 6:30 packing and eating. During our resupply at Joline's we chose to have non-cooked breakfast for these few days. Oatmeal bars was the fare with hot coffee.

8:15 we walked out of the campsite. The first six miles today were all up and downs with +/- 500' - 700' seven times! They (the trail designers) seem to be conditioning us for the trail north of here. We will soon be in the Berkshires, then the Greens and then the White Mountains. Warm temps had CC struggling up the hills today. We are trying different things to help her climb. I carry a lot of the common use gear so she has less weight by percentage than me. We think it might be a low calorie intake problem so we are increasing her intake some. We will also send a few of her warmer cloths home in Salisbury tomorrow. I'm not sure how long I'll carry my mid-weight bag. Nights have been in the high 50s for a couple of weeks now. I'll probably send it home from MA.

We took a couple of longer breaks today than normal resting at the bottom of the hills. There was one spot of poorly marked trail that caused some questions on the proper direction. We met a "Ridgerunner" today removing a tree from the trail. She is staying at the same tent site as us tonight. We made the camp area by 3:45 this afternoon. It took us 45 minutes to fill our water bags from the spring before we could set up. We found a fairly level spot for the tent. Then we were cooking supper when the Ridgerunner came in. The clouds moved in quickly once we were in camp and the barometer is not showing a fast drop. There are a few rain drops hitting the fly now. Hopefully it won't be any real amount of rain fall in the next 48 hours. 11 miles to the road into town, 1/2 mile to the Post Office and our box. Once we have finished in town it is back to the trail and either one or three more miles before camp is made.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost

For Photos and Video: http://odandccslongwalk.shutterfly.com/

OD and CC have been marking their path with a GPS using SPOT Satellite Messenger and can be tracked at the following link. It keeps track of their last 7 days: http://tinyurl.com/o2g53z

Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0849s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb