A Day On The Roof Of The Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
July 27th 2009
Published: July 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

View From East CampsiteView From East CampsiteView From East Campsite

View from our campsite on the East side of the park

July 27, 2009



Lobelia and Podo set out from the park early and took the treacherous "Trail Ridge Drive" across the peaks of Rocky Mt. Nat'l Park. Lobelia was driving and at several points, the cold ice of fear was running through her veins. She wanted to quit and ask someone else to drive their car over to the other side. She pushed the thoughts aside and eventually finished the trip. At the peak, Podo and Lobelia got out of the car and hiked quite a ways up the Ute trail because several people said there were Elk. By the time we got there, they were gone. It was, however, a memorable hike because Podo got to see the Alpine Zone of vegetation and several Marmots. We kept meeting hikers who wer older than Lobelia, so she was cheered on by that fact.

The West side of the park is greatly affected by a bark beetle, which killed thousands of acres of trees. It's sad, but the trees will eventually come back.

We drove down the highway and decided to camp at Grand Lake CO. It was pouring and cold. When we drove into town, there were literally
Rich PeopleRich PeopleRich People

View of expensive homes perched on the hillside.
piles of hail and snow in the streets. Yikes. We were cold We took advantage of a break in the rain to cook dinner (which wasn't very good). When it started up again, we went into town to look for a WIFI hot spot. We found one, but decided that we looked sinister, lurking near the marina in our car, laptop and iPod open.

During the night a furious wind developed. Podo was worried the trees would come down on us. It sure was cold. We had sweaters, sicks and hats on and the mummy bag nearly closed.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Storm Clouds gatheringStorm Clouds gathering
Storm Clouds gathering

Stormy weather coming while we were crossing Trail Ridge Drive.
Ute trailUte trail
Ute trail

Lobelia's take on the Ute trail
Ute TrailUte Trail
Ute Trail

This is the trail up to the top near the rest stop with the Alpine Plant Zone.
PodoPodo
Podo

Podo up on the roof of the Park
MarmotMarmot
Marmot

Our first view of a marmot
MoreMore
More

WE were to see several marmots of all ages.
MarmotMarmot
Marmot

Another marmot
ErosionErosion
Erosion

Wind generated erosion of a rock
Stormy weatherStormy weather
Stormy weather

RAin as we were driving way up there
HailHail
Hail

Piles of hail and snow on the west side of the park.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb