Colorado Trail Segment 3 (Buffalo Creek Recreation Area, Pike National Forest)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
April 14th 2007
Published: December 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Distance: To turnaround ~ 5 miles
Rating: easy

The spring this particular year seemed to be turned backwards: we got April weather in March and March weather in April. After a few weeks of cool, wet weather, the skies cleared and the ground dried up enough that my folks and I were able to head out on another hike. This particular weekend, we ventured to an area that I had been excited to explore for quite a while. The Pike National Forest extends all the way from the Colorado Springs area (Pikes Peak in the Springs is the source of the forest's name) all the way up to the Evergreen and Mt. Evans areas. Parts of this forest remind me of the Black Hills in South Dakota: large granitic rock formations rise above the trees creating the appearance of islands in a sea. The Buffalo Creek Recreation Area is large swath of land in the Pike's South Platte Ranger District set aside for everything from hiking and mountain biking to off-roading and shooting. The area takes up a large part of the fairly undeveloped South Platte River Valley which is easily accessible from US 285. It just so happens that the third segment of the Colorado Trail runs through the southern part of the recreation area. Segment 3 of this twenty eight-part, five hundred mile trail is probably the easiest part of the trip. It is also one of the easiest segments to reach from the Denver area. As my dad and I were only a few days away from heading out on our southern Utah adventure, we decided to keep this hike relatively easy. Like all of the Colorado Trail's segments, Segment 3 is not really a destination hike. The trail goes for nearly thirteen miles from its eastern to western trailheads before climbing into the Lost Creek Wilderness.

The eastern end of Segment 3 is accessed via the Scraggy Creek Trailhead just off of Jefferson Co. Rd. 126. Visible from the trail to the east is the jagged ridge of the aptly-named Long Scraggy Peak, one of the tallest mountains in this area. The trail makes a wide arc around another of the area's landmarks: Short Scraggy Peak. True to its reputation, the trail gradually meanders through a thick forest of pine and aspen trees. There is minimal elevation gain throughout the segment and most of the steeper areas don't climb for very long before leveling out. Occasional clearings offer nice views of the South Platte River Mountains to the west, marking the start of the Lost Creek Wilderness Area. On a clear day, a towering rock formation called The Castle may be visible in the far distance below these mountains (see my Rolling Creek Trail entry). As is common in this area of the Pike National Forest, large rock formations jut out of the ground on either side of the trail. Many of these formations are actually piles of smaller rocks precariously perched on top of each other. Several of these piles almost look like they were arranged by some giant child attempting to build a fortress in his sandbox. Some of the formations appear flimsy enough to be toppled by a stiff breeze. These rock formations make interesting scenery especially for fans of unique geology.

To reach the Scraggy Creek Trailhead, follow US 285 west for 32 miles to the small town of Pine Junction (the first small town after leaving the Aspen Park/Conifer area). At the town's one stoplight, turn left (south) onto Jefferson Co. Rd. 126. The road descends steeply into the South Platte River Valley. Along the way, you will notice several burned out areas from the 1996 Buffalo Creek Fire (see my entry for Colorado Trail Segment 2). Continue on through the small towns of Pine and Buffalo Creek. A little over four miles past Buffalo Creek, look for a sign for the Colorado Trail. Turn right onto FS-550 (a good dirt road) and follow signs to the trailhead parking area. As of Spring 2007, there was a $4 day-use fee for the recreation area.

For further information on the Buffalo Creek Recreation Area: http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/spl/biking.shtml


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb