Royal Arch (The Flatirons, Boulder)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Boulder
March 31st 2007
Published: December 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Additional maps: Untitled

Distance: 4 miles
Rating: strenuous

Nice spring weather continued into the end of March and early April along the front range, so I seized the opportunity to get in another hike. With this time of year, you never really know what kind of weather is going to be thrown your way, so its best to take advantage every possible sunny day. I was just getting over a particularly nasty cold, so I figured it would be a good idea to take it relatively easy on this hike. Well, this hike may be fairly short, but relatively easy it certainly isn't. For anyone planning on doing this, be prepared for a bit of leg burner. I would compare this trail to Hanging Lake (see my entry): it may be only one mile up, but it is a very steep and rocky climb.

The common starting point for this hike is at Chautauqua Park in south western Boulder. My route starts with a steady, moderate climb along the Chautauqua Trail on its route up towards the Flatirons. This route is aproximately 3.5-4 miles round trip. For anyone who hasn't been to Boulder, the Flatirons are easily the most recognizable and stunning landmark in the town. Dozens of miles of trails snake their way through the foothills park that surrounds these formations, making them an ideal spot for hikers of any ability level. The Flatirons are also very popular among rock climbers and it isn't uncommon to see people scaling these giant slabs. As you make your way up the Chautauqua Trail, you will reach an intersection with several other trails after about a mile. Stick to the left-most trail which runs along a flat area before descending down to the start of the Royal Arch Trail (these trails are all well marked with updated maps at major junctions). The area surrounding the Royal Arch trailhead is a large clearing with a rest area along a narrow dirt road. Initially, the Royal Arch Trail isn't too bad, but within a tenth of a mile, you will start your steep climb. The trail follows a well-shaded gulch which comes very close at times to several of the smaller Flatiron formations. After what feels like endless steep switchbacks the trail reaches a craggy ridge. Unfortunately, this isn't your destination! From this false summit, the trail actually descends for a while before starting another shorter, but equally steep push up to the arch. Royal Arch is perched on a ridge that offers excellent views of the southern end of Boulder. The trail ends in a series of boulders on the other side of the arch which serves as a popular resting spot. From here, you will be able to clearly make out the University of Colorado campus to the northeast. The unusual building below to the southeast is the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) building.

Getting to Chautauqua Park is very easy. From Denver, take the Boulder Turnpike (US 34) north to Boulder. Take the Baseline Rd exit and follow the street west until you see the park on your left (you can't miss it). The difficult part may be actually finding a parking space. This is one of the most popular recreation areas in Boulder (if not THE most popular), so finding parking can be a challenge regardless of when you go. There is a visitor center close to the Chautauqua trailhead with public restrooms.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 6; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb