Hike to Sprague Lake


Advertisement
Published: July 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Waking up in Rocky Mountain National Park is a wondrous thing. The Glacier Basin is surrounded by mountains so clouds are over some with other peaks visible. The basin campground has campsites are on ½ of the area with a large glassy area around the entry. A river runs along one end of the campground from the mountains on thru the valley.

Kids woke up and informed me that they had already had 2 hikes, one just after I left and one yesterday. They really wanted for us to go back to Sprague Lake a 1-1/2 mile hike each way. This sounded great as I’d been sitting for way too many hours.

We packed up a picnic lunch complete with tablecloth, wine, cheese, meat and breads in our picnic backpack and took off for the lake. On the way the kids pointed to the general area that a hawk is protecting, swooping at passersby. The hawk had been busy dive bombing another person when they went thru so that the hawk ignored them as they passed.

The hike is so scenic but then it is in the Rockies. A stream runs along most of the trail all the way up to the lake.

As we were hiking along and talking 4 kids emerged from the forest on the other side of the stream. They asked if we knew how to get to Sprague Lake and we said yes that the kids had been there already and were leading us. They asked if they could come along, they had been hiking and had taken a wrong turn and had gotten lost. We had the 4 new kids join our group and they told us everything we ever needed to know about them on the way up.

When we got to the top the lost kids found their parents, we took photos of the lake and then our kids found the perfect picnic spot where we spread out our picnic lunch.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb