Days 1 through 5


Advertisement
Published: May 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The First 5 Days


Day 1: Total Miles: 27
Vallejo - Benecio

Ah, nothing like bivying next to t 695 in the middle of a garbage filled floodzone across from a fast food restaurant next to an operating train track … camping!
Today started off slow. We left Tris’ Mom’s house around 1pm. The trip to San Francisco was horrible for me (Jess). Lets just say the Bob trailer isn’t exactly compatible with public transportation - it was an interesting experience trying to bring it on BART, uop and down elevators, etc.
We arrived in San Francisco and began to make our way toward Baker’s Beach to perform a prope ocean dip and be on our way; hills and headwinds the entire way there. Between my experience with the Bob and the exhausting trip to the beach I wasn’t a happy camper.
Things began to turn around at the “official” start of our trip. We had a fantastic ride back to the ferry (the daunting climb up from the pacific wasn’t as bad as we thought). We enjoyed delicious ahi sandwiches and a relaxing ferry ride to Vallejo (gosh, San Francisco is beautiful).
We arrived in Vallejo in time to put in some miles before it got dark. From the city scene to lush green rolling hills with cows galore … Just as it was getting dark we arrived at this fantastic bivy spot - green, groomed grass, right on Lake Herman. I look over and see Arthur on the phone. Tris and I look at each other knowingly. Arthur thought it would be a good idea to call the local police to see if it was okay to bivy at that spot … Arthur isn’t allowed to ask permission of the local authorities anymore. Hence our current spot … I wake up in the middle of the night, hoping we didn’t mistakenly pitch our tent in the train tracks … the train kept some of us up all night …

Day 2: Benecio - Sacramento
Total Miles: 75

Beautiful riding through Winters, Vacaville, etc. Birds chirping, sun shining, flat roads, good winds, peacocks, red winged black birds, herons, lamas, cows, horses … the best strawberries ever (we ate three cartons of strawberries in 5 minutes … biking does wonders for your metabolism … we all hope we can afford these effects).
We stopped for our lunch break around three in Davis. What a bike friendly place … the majority of people there must have been ridding bikes. We had all you can eat Indian food fo lunch. My allergies were terrible. We had a nice nap on UCD campus. The highlight of the day was definitely our awesome bivy spot at Ralph’s in Sac - laundry, showers, beers, pizza and best of all a good nights sleep.

Day 3: Sacramento - a little past Placerville
Total Miles: 62.2, elevation gain: 2500’

It’s crazy how jam packed the days can seem with events, yet how slowly each day passes. It’s hard to believe that just this morning we were fording the flooded bike path out of Sacramento (the Bob trailer floats, wonderful for my computer, the iPOD wasn’t so lucky … ). We hit a spot in the bike path flooded knee deep with water. We sucked it up and continued through, assuming this would only happen once or so. Little did we know that we’d be taking off our shoes and fording a section of the river eight times or so. This made for a very slow morning.
Today was the mental crux (so far …) for me. The trip seemed endless, the climbs steep and perpetual, my trailer was too heavy to pull up hills. The rest of the day would bring 2500’ of climbing, the next day another 6000’ over Carson’s Pass … I was dreading the upcoming activities. 3500 more miles of this seemed unfathomable. In attempt to relieve some weight I sent my computer home (10 lbs down … we’re trying to get rid of anything we can). Allergies, achy knees and muscles … we were hurting. The truth is that this trip is hard … we’re realizing that all to quickly. One step at a time ... this is quite a physically and mentally challenging adventure. Trips like this make you appreciate the necessities; we live for the moments of rest for our achy muscles, each hill is motivated by the reward of a snack at the top. Mac and Cheese and Boca burgers mixed up for dinner never tasted so good.

Day 4: Placerville - vista point past Bear Lake Reservoir
Total Miles: 50, elevation gain: 4500’

Some obviously drunk men just pulled up ranting about having sex with each other … perhaps a highway vista point wasn’t the best idea for a bivy. Last night we were awoken by a police officer. Apparently lots of people use that particular spot on the bike path in Placerville to “load hype and shoot crank.” The officer could tell by the expensive bikes laying around that we weren’t those kind of people. He was impressed by our upcoming journey; he couldn’t stop saying “you’re shitting me.” Despite the midnight awakening we all enjoyed a wonderful nights sleep. We awoke this morning refreshed and began our climb. Ugh, what a climb its been. Muscles I never knew I had hurt, my neck is killing me from looking down, butt sores are not a mere myth that bikers spread to deter others from enjoying the sport. We watched the landscape change from lush deciduous forest to alpine meadow and spring flowers to snow capped mountains. I’ve realized the importance of good eating and drinking habits (a snack and drink every 10 minutes or so, it’s hard to keep up when you’re burning 8000+ calories a day). We enjoyed lunch at a fantastic general store .. one of the three we passed all day.

Day 5: Bear Lake vista point - Carson City, NV
Elevation Gain: 2000’ (total loss about 4000’) Total Miles: 71 miles

The climb has culminated (at least for now … 14 passes to come in Nevada). We had a great day (both climbs and descents, thank goodness) through Carson Pass. The 15 + mile downhill was well deserved. We were in Carson City looking for a bike shop when a girl stopped us on the street asking us if we would like a place to stay. We gladly surrendered the remaining 25 miles of our day to showers, laundry and the promise of a wonderful meal. Here we are at Jodie and Shawne’s enjoying an array of taco varieties, beers, exchanging traveling stories (Jodi has traveled on bike across country twice), showering, laundering … it’s so nice to have such awesome people take us into their home and treat us like old friends. Thanks so much to Jodie and Shawne for your incredible hospitality … this is probably the most cared for evening we’ll have for awhile. Thanks to the loan of Shawn’s laptop for this long post …


Advertisement



9th May 2006

I am proud of you all
Thanks for the update, I was hoping all was well. I wilkl share these travelblogs with the Gouda Godfather's Dad and rest of family. Please keep save. I know you can do this. Love, the godfathers mother.
9th May 2006

awesome
jessica is inspiring me to go. just go. it's all about the journey.
10th May 2006

So cool
Thanks for incuding me in your invite to follow your journey, I'm really enjoying it already. I loved the part about keeping Arthur off the phone from now on. Did you get Astroman in on this? I'm sure he would love to follow it. Peace-Out, Robb
10th May 2006

I think we just missed you guys..
Hey guys just dropping you a line from Williams Az... on the 10th... I hope things are going well...I'm enjoying your blog! I think that we circled south more than you guys so I don't think we're going to be able to hook up with you. We're heading into the Grand Canyon and Navajo Reservation today and hopefully are going to end up in Roswell New Mexico tonight. So If you don't hear from us again we were beamed up by the aliens!!! But if I have a chance I'll ask them if the have some tecnology that might make the bob trailer a little more buoyant!!! LOL!! Take Care guys!! We'll be following your progress!! And if by chance you guys are around this area drop us a line!! Be Safe!!
10th May 2006

hang in there!
Jess hang in there girl!! We all know that what you guys are doing is amazing, but it wont be the first time you accomplish something that we all wish we could do... Love you!
11th May 2006

Hey Ice Cream Dream Team, I am riding with you, I have a map and I am tracing your route every day, mile by mile. I am with you climbing the Rocky Mountains, going down with the wind and crossing the desert. I know how your muscles feel, and how your butt feels. I was on a bike over 30 years ago far away from you guys in Poland. I better stop talking, its a waste of energy, we must take the next hill. Time for us to find a bivy, thats what worries me the most. Arthur I want you to stop at a hotel or motel every 500 miles or whenever you need to (avoid ***** stars). Thats how I can sponser you guys a little bit. If we can somehow help you let us know. Keep peddling. Love you all, Dad and Mom. Jestesmy z wami. Mama i Tata
11th May 2006

Incredible so far and its only the beginning. Im glad to hear some people took you in at Carson City, experiences like that really reaffirm beauty and connectedness in humanity. Be strong. Push hard. You guys can do it. My energy and love to the three of you.
13th May 2006

Pains and Aches
Hi Guys, We are enjoying your daily adventures. At our age we have similar pains just when we sit and wach TV. Keep biking. JJK
16th May 2006

Las Vegas
We have friends in Las Vegas. If you want to stay with them call them at: (702)837-3718 and cell:(516)819-6202. Their names:Wojtek and Krysia Rynczak. Arthur's parents know them well. They lived cross a street from Monica and Roman. Krysia and Wojtek are going to be in New York next weekend. I hope you don't miss them. We enjoy your jurnal. jjk
16th May 2006

Wish we were there!
Hey guys! Hope all is well. We've been shopping for gear and hope to be on the road for some short rides next week. DRINK YOUR BEER! RIDE YOUR BIKE!

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0735s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb