The Foggy City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Francisco
September 30th 2008
Published: September 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

26/9 It was my turn for the window seat, lucky me all I could see was a dirty great jet engine other than that a short an uneventful flight. Our room was ready so dumped our bags again and off to check out the sights and have some lunch. Back to the room for a rest and a few drinks then over to the famous Pier 39, which is right across the road from our hotel. At the end of the pier lives a sea-lion colony of a couple hundred or so, boy are they noisy. They live on purposely built pontoons, this is so they don't climb on to the docks. We had dinner on the pier, more fish and chips but yum yum yummy.
27/9 Bus tour which took us all over the city, then to the top of Twin Peaks which has an excellent view of the city.........I had to close my eyes on the way up as the road is narrow and I don't like heights.......but it was worth it, then the tour headed over the Golden Gate Bridge to the Golden Gate Park. They don't call this the "Foggy City" for nothing. Back to Fisherman's Wharf
San Francisco City 1San Francisco City 1San Francisco City 1

View from Twin Peaks
where we are staying for lunch, Joodz and I had a Corn Dog (in our language a Dagwood Dog) and Jac had a two hot dogs. Next our bay tour which took us out under the GG Bridge and then a lap around Alcatraz. Back to our room for a few drinks before heading out to find more tucker.
28/9 Went to a cafe that overlooked Pier 29 for brekky, with our 3 meals we could have fed a family of 20 but it was yummy and we patronised them again the next day. After brekky we caught the ferry to Sausalito and wandered around. Lucky me Jac bought me some amber earrings for my birthday (I'm not allowed to have them yet though) and a ring for our renewal. In our wanderings we found a small harbour where all the hippies live in houseboats, very picturesque and then we stumbled on to a Chilli cookout, however we weren't game enough to try any. Back to Fisherman's Wharf on the ferry for more drinks before dinner at a place called Fisherman's Grotto.......what did we eat, why seafood of course!
29/9 Relaxing morning for me and Joodz while Jac went and
San Francisio City 2San Francisio City 2San Francisio City 2

View from Twin Peaks
checked out the USS Benjamin O'Brien which is one of the last operating Liberty Ships. Then we caught a cable car to Chinatown where we thought we would have some lunch, but after checking out a few we decided that our delicate tummies might not be able to handle the fare. Funnily enough Little Italy is right next door to Chinatown so we found a cafe there instead. Walked back to Fisherman's Wharf (all downhill thankfully) for a rest and a few drinks before heading out for our last look around. Jac had 2 more hotdogs for dinner and Joodz and I got takeaway from Johnny Rockets and authentic looking 1950's diner, very chic.
Early rise tomorrow as we have an 8:30 transfer to the airport and "Adult Disneyland", AKA Las Vegas :o)



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Golden Gate BridgeGolden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge

View from Golden Gate Park
Sailors MemorialSailors Memorial
Sailors Memorial

Golden Gate Park
Bay CruiseBay Cruise
Bay Cruise

Joodz and Jac (Homer Simpson in disguise)
Bay CruiseBay Cruise
Bay Cruise

Going under the bridge
The Maltese FalconThe Maltese Falcon
The Maltese Falcon

Owned by zillionaire, its for sale only $3,000,000. Is computerised and can be sailed single handed.
Jac @ Joe JostsJac @ Joe Josts
Jac @ Joe Josts

This is actually from Long Beach, forgot to include it in the last blog :o)
One of the gay communityOne of the gay community
One of the gay community

San Francisco has a very large gay community that reside in the Haight district that used to be occupied by the hippies.
Restaurant in Little ItalyRestaurant in Little Italy
Restaurant in Little Italy

Where they season there food with garlic (in other words it reeks)
UsUs
Us

Twin Peaks


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb