The Zoo


Advertisement
Published: May 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Penny took the girls to school while we made ourselves breakfast, and then we walked Talia across the road to pre-school. Penny then kindly gave us free admission tickets and then subsequently dropped us off at the San Diego Zoo - door-to-door service again!

Having member guest passes meant we didn't even have to line up at the gates - walked straight in. We jumped straight onto the zoo tour bus for a 40 minute narrated tour of the zoo. The weather was absolutely perfect - mostly sunny but not too hot. After the tour we decided to set out on roughly the same route, which would enable us to see most of the zoo.

After walking a few hours we decided to sit down and eat the packed lunch that Penny had prepared for us! If you're ever in San Diego, I highly recommend the Bolden Hotel in Carmel Valley!!! Next stop was the polar bears - and they happened to be feeding one of them just after we turned up. We worked our way back up to the African animals, then Penny rang and arranged to meet us out the front in about 1/2 hour, so we hot-footed it to the giraffes and rhinos, which meant we'd pretty much seen everything except the koalas.

Penny then took us on a whirl-wind tour up to the top of Mt Soledad, with sweeping views over San Diego from La Jolla across the valley to downtown, before we detoured for an appointment she had to keep. While we waited Kyra found a golf ball that Tiger Woods had hit over the fence at Torres Pines. Then it was time to head back and throw the crab cakes and shrimp in the oven and the steak on the BBQ.

Finally the kids were in bed and Karina & I climbed into the hot tub with a wine and a beer respectively while Penny packed for tomorrow and caught up on work and emails. By 10pm it was time to get out and get to bed as we have a long and rather arduous day ahead.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb