Snowy Peaks and Blue Lakes


Advertisement
Published: June 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

After a snatched breakfast in the motel we were on the road again and the temperature was rising rapidly to begin with.

Our first stop was Mammoth Lakes, again as we got to the mountain area there was snow everywhere but this time whenever we left the car to take photos the air temperature was low as we had climbed to a high altitude, over 8000 feet so no surprise, the scenery was incredible though so we figured it was worth braving the cold to see!

From Mammoth Lakes we travelled further North to Mono Lake, a strange lake with evidence of volcanic activity. The water was a bright turquoise blue with a black crater in the middle and strange pinnacles around the edge formed by spring water bubbling up creating calcium deposits. Thankfully here, despite being at an elevation of over 7,000 feet the temperature was a lovely 78 degrees F.

Overlooking the lake was the cute little town of Lee Vining, we managed to find a room in a motel which was a bonus as it’s the gateway to Yosemite Valley via the Tioga Pass our next day’s destination. The only problem was that we couldn’t check in or even reserve it as the reception only opened at 4pm, the housekeeping lady assured us there was a vacant room but she couldn’t take the reservation, we’d have to return at 4pm, it was only just past midday.

With this in mind we set off to our next destination - Bodie, a ghost town, with the intention of getting back To Lee Vining in time to secure a room for the night. With this tiny town being so close to the Yosemite Gateway we weren't sure how quickly the few rooms available there would fill up.

t


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb