La La Land - Hollywood


Advertisement
Published: September 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Me and the Walk FrameMe and the Walk FrameMe and the Walk Frame

Just around the corner from our hostel. Can't remember who's star this is though.
We arrived in LA in the afternoon and after settling into our LAST hostel, went for a walk. We decided to explore Hollywood Boulevard since we were located just around the corner. We had heard from another Aussie in our dorm (who was fresh off the boat) that there was a movie premiere on Hollywood Boulevard. We hoped it would be something big, someone actually famous. It was “The Hannah Montana” film, we saw along with a large crowd of screaming teenagers Milley Cryus, Billy Ray Cryus and the rest of the cast of the TV show and I guess new movie. It was quiet funny. We walked along the Walk of Fame and saw a few stars and took a few photos. It was a quiet introduction into Hollywood.

The next day we headed back down to the Walk of Fame on Hollywood Boulevard. We had a look at the Kodak Theatre where the Oscars are held and Guaman’s Chinese Theatre to have a look at the stars hands and feet in concete out the front. We took a few photos and watched the people go by. We grabbed some lunch and headed back to the hostel for an
Kodak TheatreKodak TheatreKodak Theatre

Home of the Oscars
afternoon snooze. That afternoon we walked to Paramount Studios, we did want to do a tour except it was booked out all week. Oh well, we walked around the studio and it covers the area 62 acres. It was a long walk back and it was getting late.

Our second day in LA was another lazy day. We decided to take a tour to see the sights and frankly we were lazy doing them. Don’t get me wrong we did actually get off the bus twice to see the sights in more detail. We got off the bus on Rodeo Drive, and cruised the street, walking in and having a look at all the lovely shops. Wishing I didn’t look or feel so dirty in my clothes, wishing I had my wardrobe of old with me. We also had a look at Wilshire Blvd and especially the Wilshire Beverly Hills hotel (featured in the movie - Pretty Women), and I embarrassed Stephen by taking a photo of the lobby and the sign.

From there we hopped back on the bus until we reached the La Brea Tar Pits and Page museum. The Page Museum is located at the
Me in The Page MuseumMe in The Page MuseumMe in The Page Museum

This museum showcases the amzing fossils found in the tar pits around the museum. It's really sticky work getting them out but you can see how well they have been preserved. Even as just a skeleton the mammoth casts a big shadow over Me.
Rancho La Brea Tar Pits. Rancho La Brea is one of the world’s most famous fossil localities, recognized for having the largest and most diverse assembly of extinct Ice Age plants and animals in the world. Through windows at the Page Museum Laboratory, visitors can watch bones being cleaned and repaired. Outside the Museum, in Hancock Park, life-size replicas of several extinct mammals are featured. It was fantastic. Back on the bus we completed the route and was taken back to the Chinese Theatre were we started. We went out for dinner - Skoobys hotdogs, real good. After such a long day again we headed back to the hostel and packed our bags for the flight home. As we had to check out of the hostel at 10am the next day and there wouldn’t be time to do it in the morning.

Our third and final day of Los Angeles and our trip was spent relaxing and having a great day together. We started with a visit to the local Farmers Markets, located on the corner of Vine and Hollywood Boulvard. It was the best one I have ever been to, so many fresh vegetables and fruit, as well
Inside the Page Museum Inside the Page Museum Inside the Page Museum

Live action in the form of robotic animals. Just so realistic.
as amazingly fresh food for lunch and snacks. We went a little overboard but we needed something for lunch and dinner that day. We brought artichoke hummus, flat bread, raspberry lemonade, fresh strawberries and pecan nuts. And it was all so yummy. We did our shopping and then made our way up to the Hollywood Sign. It took a little while to walk as it was all up hill; the road just seem to keep going and going. We finally made our way up there and took loads of photos. We found a shady place and had some yummy lunch.

The problem now was we had to kill some time before we had to leave for the airport, that meant eating what was left of the food, luckily we had some help from some fellow Aussie who were just starting their trip. It was strange speaking to them, so young and inexperienced travelling. It was funny, everyone was shocked when they found out we’d been away for 12 months.

I was sad it was all over but excited about the adventure we had waiting for us at home.

I want to take this time and thank you
Outside the Page MuseumOutside the Page MuseumOutside the Page Museum

The tar pits are surrounded by high fencing but a Wooly Mammoth still managed to get stuck.
all for the support and contact you’ve had with us while we’ve been away. It has meant a lot to both Stephen and I and we cannot wait to see everyone when we get home.

Signing off for the last time as a traveller,
Yours always,
Michelle and Stephen.
xoxox



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Stephen in LAStephen in LA
Stephen in LA

The Hollywood sign is in the far background.
Stephen and I at the Hollywood SignStephen and I at the Hollywood Sign
Stephen and I at the Hollywood Sign

A fantastic day. It was a big walk all up hill but worth it when we got this close to the sign.
Stephen and the Hollywood SignStephen and the Hollywood Sign
Stephen and the Hollywood Sign

The last day of our trip and so last day of the beard. Almost a shame to see it go...almost.
Waiting at LAXWaiting at LAX
Waiting at LAX

Going home.


Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb