40 miles away...Big Cats and the Rough Fire- California


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Fresno
September 12th 2015
Published: September 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi Friends,



Well, the summer is not over for us... this week we're headed to 106 and the drought and fires continue here in California. Today the skies over Fresno were filled with ash from the Rough Fire just 40 miles to the east from Fresno. The sun never came out today as the smoke and ash from the fires filled the skies. According to ABC, the wildfire has grown to more than 119,000 acres and is only 29 percent contained. More than 2,200 personnel are battling the flames.

Today action was taken to move big cats from a sanctuary near Dunlap to safer places with zoos and other preserves.

http://abc30.com/news/big-cats-and-communities-on-edge-as-the-rough-fire-closes-in/976888/



We haven't seen rain here in a very long time. We have watering restrictions in place for our lawns and water usage.

Selling your home? Curb appeal is out the window. Brown lawns are in. A dirty car is a sign that you are water conscious. You have to ask for water in restaurants. Despite all this we're doing fine. This is California after all and we are used to earthquakes, mudslides and fires. None of which do we want but...



Today we are keeping our doors and windows closed but except for the ash in the sky the city continues to go about its everyday life.

We happened to walk outside tonight and caught a spectacular sun as the day ended, the smoke and ash making for a dramatic sunset.





We are fine here in Fresno but hope for rain and the safety of all those who are in the mountains. If you know any rain spells, rituals or dances this is the time to do them.





Jean and Cope







Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.475s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1115s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb