A Taste of Route 66, a Wigwam and a Mighty Big Crater!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Holbrook
October 2nd 2013
Published: October 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

On the road relatively early heading for Flagstaff, where we divert to our next stopover in Holbrook. The drive was a really nice one, through an area of Ponderosa Pines and with our highest elevation reaching 8067 feet! Once in Flagstaff we caught our first glimpse of the signs marking the historic Route 66, very exciting indeed. Lunch at Taco Bell (check another item off Oliver's "to do" list!), a quick spot of shopping (how will I ever survive without Michaels on our return to Oz??!!) and back on the road. We arrived in Holbrook late afternoon and checked into Wigwam #2 (we are staying at the famous Wigwam Motel for two nights). Complete with old classic cars sitting in front of each of the wigwams, it's such a novelty place to stay and we love the experience.

Monday morning brings with it the beginning of a new month and news that we will be unable to visit one of our planned tourist spots, the Petrified Forest National Park (thanks to the federal government shutdown that is currently happening here.) So we decide to head to Meteor Crater today instead and thoroughly enjoy our time there. Wow, this hole in the ground is absolutely massive, much bigger than I had expected it to be and the visitor centre is setup really well and is very informative. A stop in historic Winslow (another fabulous historic Route 66 town) on our way back to Holbrook and a western themed dinner at Butterfield Stage Co. Steakhouse to round out the day. Our last night here in the wigwam before a big drive bound for Tucson tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0958s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb