How Deep Is Deep?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona » Grand Canyon
March 3rd 2024
Published: March 3rd 2024
Edit Blog Post

Try a canyon? For some unknown reason, I think we are all attracted to canyons. Perhaps it is a metaphor for the deeper meaning of life?

This is the definition of "canyon" by AZ Animals: Canyons are deep valleys with steep sides that take years to form. Within these canyons are unique and amazing wildlife. In the United States, there are over 70 canyons to visit and admire. Listed below are some of the deepest. Follow along if you’d like to discover the 6 deepest canyons in the United States and see where the Grand Canyon ranks.


Santa Elena in Big Bend National Park, Texas (never been)


Zion Canyon in Zion National Park One of my favorites, just outside of St. George, Utah, and about 2 hours north of Vegas. From AZ: In Zion Canyon and the surrounding national park, you can find many unique animal and plant species. So far, there are about 289 species of birds and 19 species of bats. Some of the bird species include white-throated swifts, golden eagles, red-tailed hawks, and peregrine falcons. The park is large and has four life zones: desert, riparian, woodland, and coniferous forest. One of the first human inhabitants of the area was the semi-nomadic Basket maker Ancestral Puebloans. Experts estimate that human habitation started about 8,000 years ago. When in St. George, make sure you try Benja Thai.


Waimea Canyon on the island of Kauai Often called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific, it is a beautiful sight, even by car. From AZ: This canyon formed millions of years ago by a deep incision of the Waimea River. Interestingly, the west side of the canyon has thin walls, while the east side is very thick. Unlike other canyons, this canyon was formed not only because of erosion, but the collapse of the volcano that created the island. It’s not surprising to know that many people visit this stunning canyon. It’s located within Waimea Canyon State Park which has a surface area of 1,866 acres. Many visitors hike the numerous hiking trails in the park and see the majestic waterfalls. My Kauai friends often go bow and arrow hunting in Waimea for deer. And why not stop at the Kauai Coffee Plantation on the way back?


The Grand Canyon Perhaps the grandest of all, "is 277 miles long and 4 to 18 miles wide. The deepest point in the Grand Canyon is 6,093 feet. Some experts believe this large canyon formed about 5 to 6 million years ago. However, the actual age is still up for debate." From AZ: Humans have lived in and near the Grand Canyon for a long time. The first recorded people that called the Grand Canyon home were the Ancestral Puebloans. Still, other cultures lived in the area, including the Cohonina, Sinagua, Hualapai, Navajo, Southern Paiutes, and Havasupai. The Grand Canyon is also home to many plant and animal species, for instance, there are about 1,737 known species of vascular plants in Grand Canyon National Park. There are also at least a dozen plant species only known to exist within the park’s range. Most birdswithin the area migrate frequently, while about 48 species nest along the river. Bald eagles, while rare, are common in the Grand Canyon and use the river corridor as a winter habitat. Though we have been numerous times, I would go back simply for the burger at the El Tovar dining room. It was the best ever!



Kings Canyon here in the central valley is often overlooked. Located in Seqouia and Kings Canyon National Parks, This beautiful glacier-carved valley sits on the south fork of the Kings River. Although this little-known canyon is the second deepest canyon in the United States, some people believe it’s the deepest, however, it depends on the measurement. Sources indicate the maximum depth ranges from 7,700 feet to 8,200 feet. Not only is Kings Canyon stunning, but so is the surrounding area. Within the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are several small crystal-clear lakes. Experts have documented over 1,200 plant species within the park, which is about 20%!o(MISSING)f the state’s total plant species. Impressive giant sequoias are also common throughout Sequoia National Park. American black bears, mule deer, gray-crowned rosy finches, and mountain lions live in the forest. Although grizzly bears once roamed the canyon, they’ve been extinct from the region since the early 1900s.





Hells Canyon sits in OIC, Oregon, Idaho and Washington states. As I recall, I have never been there, though I have been on several flights from hell! Hells Canyon is also part of the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest and the Hells Canyon National Recreation Area. Interestingly, the history of this canyon began at least 300 million years ago. However, the canyon didn’t form until the Snake River carved out the canyon 6 million years ago. Although the canyon and its surrounding area continue to change slowly, the last major change occurred about 15,000 years ago during a flood from Glacial Lake Bonneville in Utah. For hundreds of years, people inhabited Hells Canyon, starting with the Nez Percé tribe. However, other notable tribes visited including the Shoshone-Bannock, Northern Paiute, and Cayuse Indians. When visiting, you can see countless pictographs and petroglyphs on the walls of the canyon. This stunning canyon is well worth a visit. There are many interesting points like the Dug Bar, Pittsburg Landing, and Hells Canyon Dam. Within the canyon and surrounding wilderness area, you can see animals like wolves, grizzly bears, and mountain goats.





A few others to join your list: Canyonlands National Park (Utah), Capulin Canyon (New Mexico), Black Canyon (Colorado), Nine Mile Canyon (Utah), Antelope Canyon (Page, AZ) my all time favorite.





Perhaps this summer, you can find your way to one or more of the beautiful canyons. My dear friends from Annapolis will spend about nine months out west, as they plan to visit many of our famous landmarks, national parks, and wild west cities and towns.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.62s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 35; qc: 147; dbt: 0.422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb