Glenallen Alaska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
August 14th 2012
Published: August 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had a late start leaving Valdez this morning. As we were leaving the RV park, Jerry said that he was having problems with his RV. The alternator belt had broke on the RV. Fortuantely, Jim had brought a spare belt that would fit. Jim and Charlie put the belt on. The drive up the Richardson highway from Valdez was absolutely beautiful. I am attaching pictures of Horsetail Falls, Bridal Veil Falls and a picture of a canyon between mountains with glacier water running along side of the road. Then we stopped at Worthington Glacier. 20,000 years ago, this spot was under about 4000 ft. of ice. Since 1850 it has been retreating. Due to warmer climate, it may recede for many decades but is not likely to disappear. At the glacier's higher elevation winter temperatures will probably remain below freezing and snow will continue to accumulate. The glacier's northeastern exposure also protects it from the sun's energy. In fact, if the climate continues to warm, Worthington may be one of last surviving glaciers in the area. We saw several people climbing up the glacier. In fact, we could see through a telescope three people sitting on the top. They were repairing the road in some places and we could only go 10 mph. We left the Richardson Hwy. and drove to Chetina. This is a small village on the Copper river which is supposed to be ideal for fishing. At the end of the road in Chetina is the famous million dollar bridge to nowhere. We also stopped to take a picture of the Wrangell Mountains and the Copper River. Tomorrow we should be getting close to Canada. Sometimes wi-fi is unavailabe there but will keep up the blog when I have it. Thanks for all your comments about the blog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb