Goodbye to the Great State of Alaska


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Whitehorse
August 16th 2012
Published: August 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we left Glenallen and drove to Bever Creek, Yukon Territory. I want to thank all the people in Alaska, especially Michael, Jessica, Scotty and Chrissie for your wonderful hospitality. It was a great adventure but we have many more to come. Last night we stayed in Bever Creek at an an RV park. There was a guy there that worked in the park named Bob. Real character but very nice. Said that he was old and that he was going to be 69 in Sept. Hmmm - I know a guy who is going to be 69 in Sept. - wonder if he is old? Bob gave us a ride in his 1942 Dodge. This looks like a jeep but has 6 wheels and 6 wheel drive. This was used in the construction of the Alaskan Highway. He had several other pieces of equipment there that was used on the highway too. We went looking for bear in an old riverbed across from the RV park. We were gone about two hours. No bears, but did see a porcupine. Fun trip. He showed us bushes with red berries on them that he said the bears ate. They are called soap berries. I asked him if when the bears ate the berries, did they foam at the mouth - but he said that he didn't know. As soon as we reached Canada, the road really turned bad. Some places dirt, some gravel and some holes. Could only go about 15 mph in places. We stopped and had lunch at this lake at Kluane National Park. I believe I wrote about this in an earlier blog. Beautiful view for lunch.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb