Day 16-Hubbard Glacier-Day at Sea


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
August 6th 2012
Published: August 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Just to catch up, after coming back on board, we had a Savory & Swirl culinary event onboard (see picture) with chef and assistant.

We left a soggy but delightful Kodiak Island last night and cruised today through Hubbard Bay Glacier, one of the longest at 7 miles. It is an advancing glacier, moving forward more than the combination of new snow and ice annualy produced and caling (ice breaking off) whereas Mendinhall Glacier is a receding glacier. See pictures of Hubbard.

The ice was blue as has been the ice in the 3 glaciers we've seen. Not as high as I imagined but still dramatic. These pictures don't give the sense of majesty. Did hear ice breaking off in big boom sounds today. It was cold and rainy but I wasn't out long, just to take pictures.

Had a great morning at the gym with Susan doing her yoga and I burend 600 caleries on at machine. Need one of these workouts every morning to stem the inevitable expansion of the waist line.

This morning we also attended another art auction (free champagne, at 10 am no less), shameless behavior I know but then... At 11:00 I participated in a rehearsal for the Thursday morning talent show. I plan to sing Stranger in Paradise with an Steve, an excellent pianist on board. I decided we were enjoying our dinner too much so did not participate in the karaoke final singoff..hence neither won or lost.

The dinner was Indonesian night, see picture of dining room entrance. Tried their special tea event, but food was pastries with a lot of coconut, so decided to save the calories for dinner. We did enjoy the tea however.



So, overnight we continued steaming toward Sitka, a bit of rock and roll seas but not too bad. Will sign off now and attack my Sitka blog...

Bob and Susan


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb