Day 12-Tuesday, It Must Be Juneau!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
July 31st 2012
Published: August 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Arrived at 8 am, had breakfast and was off the ship by 9:30. Did a little shopping on Franklin Street, then met up with friends Kathryn and Chuck for a tour of the Juneau.

The Mendenhall Glacier is right outside of Juneau (pictures) and at 1 1/2 miles wide, is a large blue ice glacier with salmon in streams and nice path ways for observation. We got our National Park stamp at the visitor's center, felt 200 year old ice (it was cold), saw some salmon and a black bear (pretty hidden in the trees) so more easily seen with the human eye than a picture.

Next we drove out to a famous glacier view spot for more pictures (see pictures with flowers). On to a beautfiul spot on the water that is a catholic retreat and site for summer concerts (they actually had a sign memorializing "abortion victims)."

Lunch was at The Island Pub, a local Douglas pizza and bar, excellent Alaskan beer and italian pizzas. Then we toured the Alaska State Museum, houses exhibits about Alaska state historyand the six major indigenous groups. We learned that Japan had actually invaded and held some islands during WW2.

We got a tour of Chuck and Kathryn's fishing boat "Santa Barbara" and a drive by the capital, drive through the portocol of the Governor's mansion, St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox church before saying our goodbyes at the Downtown Library by our ship.

Thank you Kathryn and Chuck for spending the day with us, and what a day it was.

Well, the day is not over as I'm sitting here in the library typing out yesterday and today's blogs!

Tonight is another Karaoke night onboard so after dinner on board, that's probably where we will be.

Tomorrow we'll be in Icy Strait Point, may not have blogging availability there so may notbe until Friday before I can blog again. In the meantime.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



1st August 2012

Alaska with Chuck and Kathryn
Looks like you two had a great day with Chuck and Kathryn. It is always a much more personal trip with friends guiding you around their city. The weather looked rather cook and wet? We are finally experiencing some real summer here in Seattle. Carry on with the fun. What a treat for the other passengers getting to hear Bob sing:)

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb