Halibut Fishing on board "The Right One"


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska
August 7th 2009
Published: August 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We spent almost a week in Soldotna. The weather turned ugly in Homer, so we went on to visit a new friend, JB. We camped at the River Bend Campground, right on the Kenai River. The Kenai is famous for it's fishing. We stopped at the local hardware store ( the best sports shop in ALaska) and bought a new fly rod for me and everything that I would need for Salmon Fishing. On Thursday of last week, Ed and I went out on a Halibut Charter. It was an afternoon charter, so we had the day to sight see before we sailed. We caught the boat in Ninilchik. The photos are of a Russian Orthodox Church that is on a bluff overlooking the ocean.
The Halibut Charter was a small boat, only 5 customers. The ocean was rough, so the fishing was slow. I caught a 20# halibut and a cod. Ed caught a 45# halibut. We were in water that was 280 feet deep. Halibut live on the bottom of the ocean, so it is like reeling in anchor from the ocean floor (plus a 5# weight). By the time I landed both of my fish, I was done in. It was a beautiful day on the water. It was one of the first sunsets we have seen. We had a good view of Mount Redoubt, a volcano that has been spitting for the last few months. We could also see Mount Iliamna and Mount Augustine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The Right OneThe Right One
The Right One

Halibut Charter
HalibutHalibut
Halibut

Mine is over my sholder, Ed's is the second from the right


Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb