Homer, Alaska


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Homer
August 5th 2009
Published: August 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After taking a couple days to dry out and catch up on some rest, we headed to Homer Alaska. Homer is known for the "Spit", a piece of land that sticks out five miles from the peninsula, and the Halibut derby. We found a great camping spot on the beach at the end of the spit. We camped right on Kachemak Bay with a view of 5 glaciers across the bay. The first night we walked along the shore and saw a sea otter floating a few feet away. We had dinner on the beach and enjoyed the view.
The next day, we took a sightseeing cruise. First we went to Gull island. There is a large rookery there with horned and tufted puffins, red-faced cormorants, several kinds of gulls and bald eagles. The boat took us over to the small town of Seldovia, a small Alaskan village with incredible scenery, that can only be reached by water. We had a nice lunch and walked over to a small remote beach. The boat also toured the Eldred Passage and Elephant Rock. A beautiful day on the water! We got back into town and headed over to the Salty Dawg Saloon, a local landmark, for a couple of beers. Followed by a great Seafood dinner at Captain Paddy's. The Kachemak Bay oysters are actually farmed in this area.
We spent a couple more days in Homer relaxing and sightseeing (shopping). On the way out of town, we drove out the East End road. Homer was socked in with fog. But this road went out for 20 miles and we were above the clouds. As you can see, there were some incredible views of the Glaciers across the bay.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

BoatBoat
Boat

Interesting Masts
MichelleMichelle
Michelle

Inside Beach in Seldovia
EdEd
Ed

Inside Beach in Seldovia
Dixon GlacierDixon Glacier
Dixon Glacier

Kenai National Wildlife Refuge
GlacierGlacier
Glacier

Kachemack Bay


Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb