Alaska Adventure Day 4


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alaska » Skagway
August 20th 2010
Published: August 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today We arrived at Skagway, I wanted to rise early because I had booked a excursion at one of the eagle preserves, I grabbed the tickets to verify the time for the excursion and noticed four tickets for two different excursions on the same date...................OMG!!!! It was 7:15 and my excursion was leaving at 7:30 We rushed downstairs to the booking agent and explained the goof up and to our surprise were refunded the entire purchase price of the two excursion tickets (I Love Carnival Cruise Lines) ~ ( More T-Shirts for me!!!! ) We rushed down the pier and made it to our group.

********** OUR BUS RIDE TO THE EXCURSION ***************

THE SALESMAN: Everything was in season, we were told that we would be seeing Giant Moose with 6 foot Racks (Antlers ) Salmon jumping all over the river and Bald Eagles large enough to pick up small livestock. Everything would be perfect!

THE LOCATION: We arrived at the rivers edge and exchanged our nice shoes for a pair of old black rubber boots.

THE SAFETY LECTURE: We were told that the folloing things were highly unlikely to happen but if it did were were to do the following:
1. Duck if we were looking at running into tree
2. Stay in the raft no matter what!!!!
3. Hop on the tube of the raft if we were to happen to run aground

Remember that these things were highly unlikely to happen. There were six rafts and six guides, I let my wife pick which one that she felt the safest with guiding her down the river, she just happend to pick by looks apparently and not by experience, so we ended up with this "guide" in his first season and a experience level of all of three months. He had the talent of finding every high spot in that river, we ran aground, uh................ I lost count how many times, I had to get out of the raft at least two times to help dislodge us from the rivers bottom.
We spent a couple of hours hopping and scraping our way down the river. On a good note, the weather was beautiful, the scenery was breathtaking, so who could complain. We spotted a total of three eagles which were about what seemed like a mile away from us, there were no moose to be seen or any other kind of wild animal along the way, so I put my camera down. leaned back and enjoyed the rest of the float.
At the end of the float, we arrived to the shore, exchanged our by this time wet boots and put our own shoes back on and sat down to a picnic style lunch of turkey sandwiches cookies and juice.










Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0951s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb