A flying visit through Mexico / Una visita relámpago a México


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico
July 10th 2006
Published: January 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mexico


TEOTIHUACAN: Pyramid of the Moon from the Pyramid of the Sun / Pirámide de la Luna desde la del SolTEOTIHUACAN: Pyramid of the Moon from the Pyramid of the Sun / Pirámide de la Luna desde la del SolTEOTIHUACAN: Pyramid of the Moon from the Pyramid of the Sun / Pirámide de la Luna desde la del Sol

Despite its name, it believed this monument was dedicated to the goddess of water and fertility rather than the moon ********* A pesar de su nombre, se cree que el monumento estaba dedicado a la diosa del agua y la fertilidad y no a la luna


Feeling quite chuffed with ourselves after crushing the Guatemalan border official's hopes to pocket our quetzals illegally, we continued our journey into Mexico by getting out of our coach and jumping on a boat and being taken downstream to the Mexican border post. Here our coach load were picked up by several taxis, which took under 5 minutes to reach the said post, and after completing formalities, we jumped on another bus to cover the last leg of our journey. Somewhat complicated, but interesting!

We only had one week left before departing for the US, so we had to plan our flash visit carefully. First we had to take into account the huge distances between places, and then the bus timetables to see how far we ventured to go. We decided that we would not have time to travel all the way to the northern end of the Yucatan Peninsula to visit what are probably the most famous Mayan ruins of all, the site at Chichen Itza, and one of the most popular beach destinations in the world, Cancun. So we will
SAN CRISTOBAL:  Cathedral / CatedralSAN CRISTOBAL:  Cathedral / CatedralSAN CRISTOBAL: Cathedral / Catedral

Built in the 16th century ********* Construida en el siglo XVI
have to come back one day - Mexico is such a big country and there is so much to see there, that we decided it probably deserves an entire holiday on its own anyway.

By the time we arrived there on this occasion however, we were suffering from severe travel weariness. Not only were we feeling tired of being “on the move” every couple of days; the fact that we had found it difficult to “relax” for the last few months when out and about, having to be constantly alert to everything and everyone around us, and feeling like a walking bank wherever we went, had left us rather drained emotionally, so deep down we were both almost wishing our time away so we could move on to the US and to a culture closer to our own. After all, even with all its ups and downs, as the saying goes, better the devil you know...

Besides, we had not arrived at the best of times in the country. The general elections had just taken place and emotions were running high in the country. We had crossed the border with a Mexican guy and his son, and it was them who advised us to steer well clear of certain places such as Oaxaca, which is apparently a beautiful city to visit at any other time, but was going through revolts and public protests and all sort of things we as tourists would not wish to get caught in the middle of (we heard of problems still cropping up months later).

Still, we tried to make the most of our few days in Mexico and the first thing we did was take another dose of Mayan ruins at Palenque. Similarly to the previous Mayan sites we had visited previously, Palenque was built in the middle of the jungle. It is so well kept however that it now looks more like a park or a garden with curious structures as part of the attraction rather than the site of old historical ruins. It doesn't help that sellers are allowed to set up shop around the site, and although they don't harass you (as is so often the case in other Latin American sites), we still felt it kind of spoiled the atmosphere of the place.

Palenque started off as a small agricultural village, but from around the fourth
PALENQUE:  Temple of the Inscriptions / Templo de las InscripcionesPALENQUE:  Temple of the Inscriptions / Templo de las InscripcionesPALENQUE: Temple of the Inscriptions / Templo de las Inscripciones

Built on top of Lord Pacal's crypt, the founder of the first ruling dynasty of Palenque ********* Construido sobre la cripta del Señor Pacal, el fundador de la primera dinastía gobernante de Palenque
century AD, it grew to become one of the most important cities in the pre-Hispanic world. There are several groups of structures, the main ones being the group formed by the Palace and the Temple of the Inscriptions, and the Group of the Temples of the Cross (all pictured).

Being an easy local bus ride away from town, it is easy to visit the ruins on a half day trip, so we moved on the next day in search of a change of scenery and also a change of subject. We opted for the town of San Cristobal de las Casas so we could go for a boat ride down the nearby Sumidero Canyon.

San Cristobal is a popular stop on the tourist circuit, often described in the guide books as one of Mexico's most beautiful towns. It feels clean, well looked after and very lively, and a walk along its streets has plenty to offer to the architecture enthusiast (lots of colonial style buildings). Indigenous culture seems to play an important role here too, and there's plenty of Indian handicrafts for sale in its markets and directly from the women who gather mainly in the main square
PALENQUE: Palace /  PalacioPALENQUE: Palace /  PalacioPALENQUE: Palace / Palacio

The tower is believed to have been used both as an astronomical observatory and a watching post ********* Se cree que la torre sirvió tanto de observatorio astronómico como de puesto de vigía
looking for customers amongst the many tourists that land here.

They have a more demure approach than their South American counterparts though, so at least you don't feel harassed into buying something every two minutes. Until you make the mistake of showing a teeny bit of interest, that is, as Maria found out when she stopped to look at a collection of hand woven belts one of sellers was lugging around. The said seller was walking round the square with a second seller, but within 2 minutes Maria found herself surrounded by no less than a dozen diminutive but very determined women and young girls, who started shouting from every angle to attract her attention, shoving their creations under her nose. Feeling slightly flabbergasted by this sudden and fierce invasion of her private space, Maria tentatively took a step back to try and have a look at the wares on offer from a reasonable distance that wouldn't make her crossed-eyed; but for every step backward she took, the sellers would take one and a half forward, so it could only get worse. Mark was enjoying himself enormously and took a couple of pictures of the action for posterity.

After buying a couple of belts from two different sellers, one of the youngest ones decided to keep trying to sell one of her own (Maria had made the even graver mistake of touching a belt from this girl's bunch), and she followed us for several minutes as we tried to get away from her, insisting that we buy something from her, and she went on, and on, and on, and on... realising we wouldn't get rid of her easily, Mark gave her a coin to make her feel better, but she still wouldn't budge, and it was not until we went into a shop that she mumbled something in a less than happy tone and walked away.

The next day we went for a boat ride down the Sumidero Canyon, carved by the Grijalva river and with a maximum depth of 1,000m (3,280ft). During the trip up and down the river we saw a couple of crocodiles basking in the sun, and a small bunch of pelicans, but it's looking up at the impressive, kilometre high vertical walls of the canyon that makes the “cruise” worthwhile. The canyon is not just a place of great natural beauty, but of local historical significance too: during the Spanish conquest, Indian warriors threw themselves from its high walls into the waters below rather than submit to the invaders.

Our final stop was Mexico City, where we arrived with only 2 days to spare until our flight to the US. We arrived on a Sunday morning, which, being a Catholic country, meant that pretty much everything was closed, so when we went for a short walk the whole place seemed deserted. Having travelled through the night, we were tired and sleep deprived anyway, so we took it easy for the rest of the day and recharged batteries for our visit to the massive complex of Teotihuacan the next morning.

Teotihuacan, the "place where Gods are created", became an important capital of the Mayan Empire during the Classic period (AD 150-160). It was a huge metropolis with a dense and multiethnic population; during its maximum splendour (AD 350-550), Teotihuacan had an area of 20 km2 (7.7 sq miles), 2,000 apartment compounds and a population of 100,000 people, making it the 6th largest city in the world after Constatinople (Turkey), Chang'an (China), Loyang (China), Ctesiphon (Persia) and Alexandria (Egypt). (We confess we've never heard of the 3rd and 4th before).

The main axis of the urban area is “The Street of the Dead”, which starts at the Citadel, stretches for 5 long kms (3 miles), passes by the Pyramid of the Sun and ends at the Pyramid of the Moon. The apartment compounds on both sides of this avenue are mostly piles of rubble now, but luckily the Pyramids, which are the main attraction of the site, are still standing. Both the Pyramid of the Sun and the Moon offer climbing challenges and splendid views of the surrounding valley from the top.

The Pyramid of the Sun is definitely the most imposing building in the city, which despite its name, was not consecrated to the sun, but more likely to the patron of the city: the rain god.

The Pyramid of the Feathered Serpent (partially covered by the “Semi-Detached” Pyramid, a newer structure), is the third largest building in the site. The pyramid was consecrated with the sacrifices of over 200(!) individuals. Their bound corpses were found below and around the building together with rich offerings. Human offerings were also found buried inside the Pyramids of the Sun and
PALENQUE:  Temples of the Sun, XIV and XV from Temple of the Cross / Templos del Sol, XIV y XV desde el Templo de la CruzPALENQUE:  Temples of the Sun, XIV and XV from Temple of the Cross / Templos del Sol, XIV y XV desde el Templo de la CruzPALENQUE: Temples of the Sun, XIV and XV from Temple of the Cross / Templos del Sol, XIV y XV desde el Templo de la Cruz

Temple of the Inscriptions in the background ********* Templo de las Inscripciones al fondo
the Moon.

Similarly to Palenque, street sellers are allowed in the site, but whilst the former left us alone to enjoy the ruins in peace, the ones at Teotihuacan seemed to follow us around, testing our patience and again somewhat ruining the experience. We have to admit that our patience was rather short at this point; although our bodies had kept going and we did enjoy what we saw and did, the truth is that emotionally we had stopped travelling a while ago. We had been finding it increasingly difficult to feel like a walking bank everywhere we went (we know we're repeating ourselves, but it was a strong feeling), being looked down upon by many of the locals who are not interested in you personally in the slightest, but in the contents of your wallet... and although we did not feel particularly threatened nor in great danger at any moment, a concern for our personal security was always playing in our mind.

So when the time came to leave Central America, we were not only ready, but rather looking forward to it, even in the knowledge that as soon as we hit the US our “social status”
PALENQUE:  Temple of the Sun / Templo del SolPALENQUE:  Temple of the Sun / Templo del SolPALENQUE: Temple of the Sun / Templo del Sol

Group of the Temples of the Cross. All three temples in this group have intricately carved stone roof-combs, originally believed to have a religious significance ********* Grupo de los Templos de la Cruz. Los tres templos de este grupo tienen crestas de piedra intrincadamente labrada, que en principio se creyó tenían una significancia religiosa
would change immediately and drastically. Perhaps we should entitle our next blog “how we went from filthy rich tourists to penniless peasants in 3 hours”...



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Orgullosos de haber chafado las esperanzas del oficial guatemalteco de agenciarse nuestros quetzales ilegalmente, nos subimos a la barcaza que nos aguardaba para continuar viaje por rio hasta el puesto fronterizo mexicano. Una vez desembarcados, nos recogieron varios taxis que en 5 minutos nos habían llevado al susodicho puesto, y tras finalizar los trámites nos subimos a otro autobús para cubrir el último tramo de nuestro recorrido. Algo complicado, pero interesante.

Sólo nos quedaba una semana antes de tener que volar a los EEUU, de modo que tuvimos que planear nuestra visita cuidadosamente. Primero tuvimos que tener en cuenta las enormes distancias entre ciertos sitios, los horarios de buses y el tiempo que tardan en cubrir ciertas rutas, para así calcular cuánto nos atrevíamos a alejarnos de la capital (desde donde salía nuestro avión). Así, decidimos que ni de coña nos iba a dar tiempo a llegar al norte de la Península de Yucatán, donde se encuentran lo que son posiblemente las ruinas mayas más famosas de todas, Chichén Itzá, y uno de los destinos costeros más populares del mundo, Cancún. Así que tendremos que regresar un día, ya que de todas formas el país es tan enorme y tiene tanto que ver, que se merece unas vacaciones enteras para él solo.

Pero en ese momento, para cuando llegamos íbamos ya algo a rastras, sufriendo “fatiga de viaje”, cansados más mentalmente que físicamente. Bueno, físicamente también, y algo hartos de estar de aquí para allá haciendo y deshaciendo la mochila cada dos o tres días. Pero principalmente de no habernos podido “relajar” en meses, teniendo que estar constantemente alerta y pendiente de todo y todos a nuestro alrededor, sintiéndonos como un banco andante donde quiera que íbamos... todo esto nos había dejado emocionalmente agotados, así que en el fondo estábamos deseando que la semana que nos quedaba pasase rápido para poder pasar a los EEUU y a una cultura más cercana a la nuestra. Después de todo, a pesar de todo lo malo que ésta pueda tener, como dice el refrán más vale lo malo conocido...

Y de todas formas no habíamos llegado en el mejor momento precisamente. Acababan de celebrarse las elecciones generales y las emociones estaban a flor de piel por todo el país. Habíamos cruzado la frontera con un mexicano y su hijo, y fueron ellos quienes nos aconsejaron mantenernos lo más lejos posible de ciertos sitios, particularmente Oaxaca, que es al parecer una ciudad preciosa y digna de visitar en cualquier otra época, pero que en ese momento andaba envuelta en revueltas y demostraciones y todo tipo de cosas en las que turistas como nosotros no querrían verse envueltos.

A pesar de todo esto, intentamos aprovechar al máximo los pocos días que teníamos en México, y lo primero que hicimos fue ir a Palenque a por nuestra penúltima dosis de ruinas mayas.

De manera semejante a los otros sitios mayas que ya habíamos visitado, la ciudad de Palenque fue construida en mitad de la selva. Está todo tan bien cuidado, sin embargo, que más bien parece un parque o jardín privado con curiosas estructuras como parte de su atractivo que un sitio de ruinas históricas. Tampoco ayuda que la administración del sitio permite que vendedores entren y se coloquen por todos los rincones intentando venderte souvenirs, y aunque en general te dejan en paz, la verdad es que a nuestro parecer como que estropea la atmósfera del lugar.

Palenque empezó siendo un pequeño asentamiento agrícola, pero a partir del siglo IV empezó a crecer hasta convertirse en una de las ciudades más importantes del mundo prehispánico. Hay varios grupos de estructuras, los principales son el grupo formado por el Palacio y el Templo de las Incripciones y el Grupo de los Templos de la Cruz.

Las ruinas están muy cerca del pueblo, y es fácil llegar a ellas en uno de los muchos autobuses locales, de modo que sólo necesitas medio día para la excursión. Así, dejamos Palenque al día siguiente en busca de un cambio de aires y de tema, y nos fuimos a visitar San Cristobal de las Casas y el Cañón del Sumidero en sus proximidades.

San Cristobal es una escala popular en el circuito turístico, y las guías de viajes la describen a menudo como una de las ciudades más bonitas de Mexico. Está muy limpia y bien cuidada, con un ambiente animado, y los entusiastas de la arquitectura no deberían perderse un paseo por sus calles (hay montones de edificios de estilo colonial). La cultura indígena también parece desempeñar una papel importante en la ciudad; hay multitud de artesanías indias a la oferta en mercados y puestos callejeros. Bueno, puestos en realidad no son, más bien mujeres y niñas rondando en particular por la plaza, cargando principalmente con multitud de cinturones hechos a mano, esperando que caiga algún turista.

Su actitud es más tímida y reservada que la de sus homólogo sudamericanos, al menos no te asaltan cada dos minutos para que les compres algo ni te agobian a morir. Bueno, al menos no lo hacen hasta que cometes el grave error de mostrar el más mínimo interés, como descubrió una misma cuando me paré a ver la colección de cinturones que llevaba una de las vendedoras. Esta dicha vendedora iba dando vueltas por la plaza con una segunda, pero en cuestión de 2 minutos o menos me vi rodeada por una docena de otras mujeres y niñas, ¡diminutivas pero muy obstinadas!, todas gritándome para que examinara sus creaciones, poniéndomelos a dos centímetros de la cara. Algo sorprendida y estupefacta por esta invasión de mi espacio personal tan repentina e implacable, intenté echar un paso hacia atrás para poder ver los cinturones desde una distancia razonable que no me hiciera ponerme bizca; pero por cada paso que yo daba hacia atrás, ellas daban uno y medio hacia delante, de modo que cada vez pero. Mark estaba que se moría de la risa, y en vez de intentar ayudar a dispersarlas fue y se puso a sacar fotos de la acción para la posteridad.

Después de comprar dos cinturones de dos vendedoras diferentes, una de las niñas decidió seguir intentando vender uno de los suyos (yo había cometido el error aún más grave de tocar un cinturón de su manojo), y nos siguió durante varios minutos insistiendo que teníanmos que comprarle uno, repitiéndolo una y otra vez como un disco rallado. Viendo que no nos íbamos a poder deshacer de ella fácilmente, Mark le dió una moneda, pero como si nada, ella erre que erre, venga a seguirnos por la calle, y no fue hasta que nos metimos en una tienda que murmuró algo que no sonó a piropo precisamente, y se largó.

Al día siguiente fuimos a dar un paseo en barca por el Cañón del Sumidero, esculpido por el río Grijalva y con una profundidad máxima de 1.000m. Durante el recorrido vimos un par de cocodrilos tomando el sol y un puñado de pelícanos, pero la atracción son las impresionantes paredes del cañón, que se levantan perfectamente verticales frente a tus ojos. El cañón no es sólo un lugar de gran belleza natural, sino también de significancia histórica: durante la conquista española, guerreros indios prefirieron lanzarse al río desde sus altas paredes antes que someterse a los invasores.

Nuestra parada final fue la Ciudad de México, donde llegamos sólo 2 días antes de nuestro vuelo a los EEUU. Llegamos un domingo por la mañana, y siendo un país profundamente católico, estaba todo cerrado a cal y canto; cuando salimos a dar un paseo las calles estaban desiertas, parecía una ciudad fantasma. No llegamos muy lejos de todas formas; como habíamos viajado toda la noche, estábamos cansados y faltos de sueño, así que más bien dedicamos el día a descansar y recargar las baterías para nuestra visita al enorme complejo de Teotihuacan a la mañana siguiente.

Teotihuacan, el "lugar donde se crean los dioses", se convirtió en una capital importante del imperio maya durante el periodo Clásico (150-160DC). Fue una metrópolis gigantesca con una población numerosa y multi-étnica; durante su máximo esplendor (350-550DC), Teotihuacan cubría un área de 20 km2, constaba con 2.000 apartamentos y una población de 100.000 personas, lo que la convertió en la sexta ciudad más grande del mundo después de Constatinopla (Turquía), Chang'an (China), Loyang (China), Ctesiphon (Persia) y Alexandria (Egipto). (Confesamos que jamás hemos oído hablar de la tercera y cuarta).

El eje principal de la zona urbana es la Avenida de los Muertos, que comienza en la Ciudadela, se extiende 5 largos kms, pasa por la Pirámide del Sol, y termina frente a la Pirámide de la Luna. Hoy día no queda mucho de los apartamentos a ambos lados de la avenida; en realidad no son mucho más que montones de piedras, pero por suerte las Pirámides, la mayor atracción del sitio, aún se mantienen en pie. Tanto la Pirámide del Sol como la de la Luna ofrecen un reto para las piernas y fantásticas vistas desde sus cimas.

La Pirámide del Sol es el edificio más imponente de la ciudad. A pesar de su nombre, esta construcción no fue consagrada al sol, sino al que probablemente fuera el patrón de la ciudad: el dios de la lluvia.

La Pirámide de la Serpiente Emplumada (parcialmente cubierta por la Pirámide Adosada, una estructura más reciente), es el tercer edificio más grande del sitio. Esta pirámide fue consagrada con el sacrificio de más de 200 individuos. Sus cuerpos maniatados fueron encontrados bajo y alrededor del edificio acompañados de ricos ornamentos. También se encontraron ofrendas humanas en las Pirámides del Sol y de la Luna.

Al igual que en Palenque, aquí también se permite la entrada a vendedores ambulantes, pero mientras que en Palenque nos dejaron que viéramos las ruinas en paz, los de Teotihuacan eran unos pesados, siguiéndonos y persiguiéndonos y poniendo a prueba nuestra paciencia y en parte arruinándonos la experiencia. Aunque tenemos que admitir que nuestra paciencia estaba ya muy agotada llegados a este punto; aunque nuestros cuerpos habían seguido viajando y sí que disfrutamos lo que hicimos y vimos en estas semanas, lo cierto es que emocionalmente habíamos dejado de viajar un tiempo atrás. Cada vez se nos hacía más cuesta arriba eso de sentirnos un banco andante allá donde íbamos (sabemos que nos estamos repitiendo, pero era una emoción muy fuerte), que muchos de los paisanos nos miraran por encima del hombro sin mostrar el más mínimo interés en nosotros como personas, pero mucho en el contenido de nuestras carteras... y aunque no nos sentimos en gran peligro ni amenazados en ningún momento, siempre andábamos preocupados por nuestra seguridad personal de alguna manera.

Así que cuando llegó la hora de dejar Centro América, no sólo estábamos más que listos, en realidad lo estábamos deseando, aún sabiendo que tan pronto pusiéramos un pie en los EEUU, nuestro “status social” cambiaría inmediata y drásticamente. Quizás nuestra próxima página debería llamarse “como pasamos de asquerosos turistas ricachones a pobretones peseteros en 3 horas”...





Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 37


Advertisement



25th June 2009

hola!!!
quiero decirles q san cristobal de las casas es lo maximo...visiten y se van a dar cuenta, quede enamorada de ese lugar...
11th July 2009

quizás algún día!
Gracias Kathya, un día nos gustaría volver a México, con más tiempo, la semana que pasamos desde luego no le hizo justicia... pero no entiendo tu comentario, ¡San Cristóbal fue precisamente uno de los sitios que sí visitamos! y nos encantó
18th March 2012
PALENQUE:  Temple of the Sun / Templo del Sol

-
Wow, ¡qué genial! Los admiro, en serio.

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb