A small but very worthy 2,000 km detour / Un pequeño desvío de 2.000 kms que bien mereció la pena


Advertisement
Published: February 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Denver --> Canyonlands


Additional maps: The Four Corners / Las Cuatro Esquinas

YELLOWSTONE: Grand Prismatic Spring / La Gran Fuente PrismáticaYELLOWSTONE: Grand Prismatic Spring / La Gran Fuente PrismáticaYELLOWSTONE: Grand Prismatic Spring / La Gran Fuente Prismática

The colours in thermal pools are created by micro-organisms which survive in conditions that would instantly kill most other life forms (extreme heat and high acidity or alkalinity) ********* Los colores de las fuentes termales son creados por microorganismos que sobreviven en condiciones en las que otros seres vivos perecerían en un instante (calor extremo y alcalinidad o acidez elevadas)
It felt great to arrive in the US and be able to get lost in a crowd again, instead of standing out like a sore thumb. Ah, the freedom of walking around without getting harassed. We had found ourselves a cheap motel room on the outskirts of Denver, using an internet service called hotwire. Basically many hotels have signed up for this service as it allows them to hire rooms that would otherwise go unsold, and even if they get less money for them, well better than zero. The main advantage for travellers is that it doesn’t force you to have a US based credit card, unlike its competitor priceline.com.

For us it worked out great. We paid a lot less than the advertised price for this room, and it turned out to have air con, cable TV, en-suite bathroom and even its own kitchen. It felt like a palace to us! Being able to make our own meals again certainly was a great luxury. We fitted in a trip to the cinema to watch Superman, but mostly we simply enjoyed recharging the batteries for a couple of days whilst planning our next moves: we had 3 weeks to make it to Vegas, where we’d catch our next flight onto Seattle. It didn’t take us long to realise that if we wanted to see things properly we would have to hire a car, even though this would mean a huge blow to the budget.

But it is pretty much like you see in the films - everyone here has a car, everyone drives everywhere (drive through banks, pharmacies and even post boxes are common, see pictures). You simply can't just jump on a train or a bus and expect to get anywhere quick. Yes, there’s a coach company that takes you from one main city to another, so we could've have done that, but if you want to see something outside the cities, like the national parks, then you would have to use an agency to take you there, and they're not cheap. Besides, there's nothing like doing things under your own steam and at your own pace.

We didn't actually go to Denver downtown other than to find out car hire prices, it is after all just another city... and we were itching to go to the national parks, so you'll have to wait to see pictures of skyscrapers. We did visit a couple of nearby towns on a day out, Boulder, which is very clean and friendly, and Idaho Springs, a small gold mining town which still has the feel of the old west.

We both really wanted to visit Yellowstone National Park, and although a quick look at the map told us it would mean taking a small detour (we were heading to Vegas in a south westerly direction, and Yellowstone was north), we decided we would just have to accelerate the pace. The "small" detour turned out to be a whooping 1,900 km (1,180 m) long loop back to the second national park on our list, Canyonlands (if we had gone there direct from Denver we would have only done 570 kms (355 m)). Ah, well, a bit of miscalculation there. It’s a common mistake to make, coming from smaller countries; you look at a map and don't realise it'll take you at least twice as long to get somewhere as you think, it's just so hard to grasp the sheer vastness of the place.

After our first unplanned stopover on the way to Yellowstone, we immediately realised we couldn’t afford to both have a car and sleep in motels (even cheapo Motel 9). The next day we went out and bought ourselves a new tent and then almost every night for the rest of our 2 month stay in North America we camped out under the stars. Needless to say, everything we bought paid itself off within a few days, and it saved us loads of money afterwards. However, camping was not as cheap as we’d hoped it would be, even a basic un-powered site cost us more than an en-suite room had in a nice hostel in Latin America!

Before we reached Yellowstone we had to stop for a night in a back country campground, with very basic facilities and only a small handful of campers. As we were putting up our brand new tent, a friendly greeting reached us from the site next door: "Howdy neighbours!". "Blimey, it's Ned Flanders!" we thought. How cute! We were in America alright (we don’t think anyone had ever said "Howdy!" to us before that)! We must also mention that the campsite was in the middle of a forest... and that this was our first experience of camping in "bear country". We can't deny we purposely chose a site near the toilets, so we didn't have to walk very far and expose ourselves for long... we nervously looked back and over our shoulders when going to the bathroom at nightfall, feeling our heart racing if we as much as heard a twig break behind us. And once in the tent, the howling we heard not far from where we were rather put us off going again until the morning...

Having survived the night, we made it to Yellowstone the next day and spent 3 nights there, sleeping nervously whilst keeping any food safely locked in the car (yes, because of the bears). Incidentally, Yellowstone was the first area in the world to be made into a National Park, back in 1872. It's easy to see why - we fell in love with the place and only wished we could've stayed longer to explore it all in more detail! It really is a haven for nature lovers, it has it all! Rivers, waterfalls, geysers, mud pools, vast plains, forests, hills... and loads of animals, big and small. You may not know this, but Yellowstone is actually on the site of an ancient volcano crater (a huge one too, over 30 miles across), still active, hence all the thermal activity. In fact, it has over half of all the geysers in the world! Pretty impressive. The sights are spectacular and the animals a real thrill to watch. We couldn't get enough of it!

We were gutted (really gutted) not to see any moose, but we did see a grizzly bear miles away through the telescope of a kind guy who had been watching it for ages. It was just a tiny dot in the distance, but still incredible, the distinctive hump clearly visible even from so far away. And further down the road, we saw a wolf (also in the far distance) crossing a plain.

We saw more bison than we could've ever had imagined. The first time we saw one, Mark slammed the breaks, exclaiming "Oh my god, it's a bison!", incredulity in his voice as it was right by the road side, whilst Maria wasted no time at all in getting out of the car and taking a million pictures. By the end of the third day we didn't even bother stopping at all if we saw one -
Drive through Post Box / Servicio de Buzon sin salir del cocheDrive through Post Box / Servicio de Buzon sin salir del cocheDrive through Post Box / Servicio de Buzon sin salir del coche

And we didn't visit any drive-through farmacies, but they do exist! ********* Y no visitamos ninguna farmacia de este estilo, ¡pero también existen!
unless it happened to be blocking our side of the road, (Mark by then had renamed them "boring, boring bison")! Apparently the herds of bison that are now thriving in Yellowstone are all descended from just 2 dozen animals from 1900, which were all that remained in the area after the coming of the white man had almost wiped them out.

We also saw a black bear! This must have been the very highlight of the visit. We got to a big congregation of cars by the side of the road, but the ranger's car was the real give-away that there was something big to look at. They take great care in ensuring people don't get too close to the animals, and this ranger wouldn't even let us cross the road. It was great though, loads of people taking pictures and just watching in awe as the young bear foraged for insects and seemed completely oblivious to our presence. Mark had to drag Maria away as she would've stayed there all day.

We of course paid a visit to one of Yellowstone’s most famous attractions, Old Faithful. We frustratingly turned up approximately 30 seconds after an eruption, literally
Urban Deer / Ciervo UrbanoUrban Deer / Ciervo UrbanoUrban Deer / Ciervo Urbano

At least we think it's a deer! ********* Al menos creemos que es un ciervo
walking through the leaving crowd. The rangers are able to predict the eruptions with some degree of accuracy and the next one wasn't due for another 90 minutes (plus, or minus 10 minutes). So we came back the next morning instead to watch this world famous show, taking in some of the other interesting thermal activity along the way including the striking Grand Prismatic Spring.

After leaving Yellowstone we made our way south again and headed towards the area known as The Four Corners. It covers SE Utah, SW Colorado, NE Arizona and NW New Mexico. The borders between these states are perfectly straight and all meet to form 4 right angle corners - it's much easier to see what we mean if you look at the map! The whole area is rife with historical and natural sites of great interest and one would need much longer than a couple of weeks to see it all. However we gave it a good go and only missed out New Mexico. Most of the places we saw were in Southern Utah and this will be covered in our next blog, but we have added a few pictures here of the Canyonlands National Park.

With temperatures often surpassing 40ºC (104ºF), and no shade or water available in the majority of the park, we didn't go hiking here. The only other way to explore it more fully is by taking a 4x4 down many dead-end roads, but we only had a cheap hire car, so our only option was to drive up and down the only sealed road in the park, and stop at the different view points to look in amazement at the enormous extension of land stretching in front of our eyes as far as we could see.

Although a desolate landscape, it was a good introduction to the Four Corners and the many National Parks that dot the area, where many surprises awaited us as we continued to explore the area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nada más aterrizar en los EEUU sentimos una ola de alivio y tranquilidad, por primera vez en meses pudimos relajarnos y disfrutar de la libertad que te trae el poder pasar desapercibido en una multitud, en vez de destacar como a sore thumb. Nos habíamos buscado una motel barato en las afueras de Denver, utilizando un servicio de internet llamado hotwire. Por si estáis pensando visitar los EEUU con un presupuesto ajustado, este servicio está genial. Los hoteles que se han unido a este servicio son de todo tipo, no sabes dónde vas a ir exactamente hasta que no eliges y pagas, pero la mayoría son cadenas hoteleras o moteleras que en vez de quedarse con habitaciones vacias las venden a menor precio de esta manera. Quizás no encontréis una habitación dentro de vuestro presupuesto (o fuera) dondequiera que vayáis, pero merece la pena intentarlo.

A nosotros nos funcionó muy bien en varias ocasiones. Esta habitación en particular nos costó casi la mitad de lo que hubiéramos pagado si la hubiésemos reservado con el motel directamente, y resultó tener aire acondicionado, TV por cable, baño y hasta cocina propia. ¡Para nosotros como un palacio! Poder volver a cocinar nuestra propia comida otra vez nos pareció todo un lujo. En los dos o tres días que pasamos allí incluimos un viaje al cine a ver Superman, pero mayormente nos dedicamos a recargar pilas a la vez que planear nuestros pasos siguientes: teníamos 3 semanas para llegar a Las Vegas, donde cogeríamos nuestro siguiente vuelo a Seattle. No tardamos en deducir que si queríamos visitar ciertos sitios y disfrutarlos en condiciones no nos quedaba más remedio que alquilar un coche, aunque esto significaba sacrificar la mitad del presupuesto diario.

Pero la verdad es que es exactamente como lo vemos en las películas - aquí todo el mundo tiene coche propio, todo el mundo va en coche a todas partes (y hacen cosas sin ni siquiera bajarse de él, ver fotos), de modo que no existe la opción de subirte a un autocar o a un tren y asumir que vas a llegar a donde quieres ir en poco tiempo, porque tales servicios son prácticamente inexistentes. Bien, sí que existe una empresa que te lleva de una ciudad a otra, pero si quieres ver algo fuera de las ciudades, como los parques nacionales, tienes que ir con una agencia, y no salen baratas. Además, no hay nada como poder moverte libremente por tus propios medios y a tu propio ritmo. Así que ya sabes, si váis a los EEUU, tenéis que añadir alquiler de coche a la lista de cosas a incluir en el presupuesto.

En nuestro caso no fue difícil sumar dos y dos y que nos diera 5, estaba claro que no
Shop window in Idaho Springs / Escaparate de una tienda en Idaho SpringsShop window in Idaho Springs / Escaparate de una tienda en Idaho SpringsShop window in Idaho Springs / Escaparate de una tienda en Idaho Springs

No further comments... / "Salsa de judías negras sin pedos"
nos íbamos a poder permitir tener coche y dormir en moteles, de modo que salimos a comprarnos equipo de acampada y vivimos de manera más bien básica la mayor parte del tiempo. Ni que decir tiene que con lo que nos ahorramos podríamos haber comprado el equipo varias veces. Y eso que ir de acampada tampoco sale tan barato, por una parcelita básica, sin electricidad ni nada, ¡pagamos más que por una habitación con baño propio en un hostal majo en Latino América! Nos dolió pagar esos precios por dormir en el suelo, pero en fín...

No llegamos a visitar el centro de Denver, después de todo no es más que otra ciudad, y teníamos más ganas de ver los parques nacionales, de modo que tendréis que esperar para ver fotos de rascacielos. Sí salimos a visitar un par de sitios cercanos, Boulder, una ciudad al pie de las Rocosas, y Idaho Springs, un pueblecillo minero que alardaba de ser el lugar donde había empezado la fiebre del oro.

A los dos nos apetecía mucho visitar Yellowstone, y aunque un vistazo rápido al mapa nos bastó para darnos cuenta de que tendríamos que desviarnos un poco (nos dirigíamos a Vegas en dirección suroeste y Yellowstone estaba al norte), decidimos que simplemente tendríamos que apretar la marcha. Lo de desviarnos "un poco" resultó ser un pequeño error de cálculo... acabamos haciéndonos un círculo de 1.900 km para llegar al segundo parque en nuestra lista, Canyonlands (si hubiéramos ido allí directamente desde Denver sólo nos habríamos hecho 570). En fin, no importa, bien mereció la pena. La verdad es que es fácil cometer este error siendo procedentes de países considerablemente más pequeños, miras el mapa y te crees que vas a llegar en cuatro o cinco horas y luego resulta que tardas dos días, y es que es dificil asimilar la enormidad del país aún cuando estás allí.

De modo que antes de alcanzar Yellowstone tuvimos que pasar la primera noche en un campamento más bien básico y con sólo un puñadito de campistas. También hemos de mencionar que el campamento estaba en mitad de un bosque... en territorio de osos. No podemos negar que elegimos una parcela lo más cerca de los servicios que encontramos, para no tener que exponernos más de lo necesario... y que nerviosamente echamos la vista atrás (y a diestra y siniestra) cuando fuimos al baño a la caida de la tarde, con el corazón en la boca si oíamos una ramita quebrarse a nuestras espaldas. Una vez dentro de la tienda, oímos unos aullidos más cerca de lo que nos hubiera gustado, y que nos quitaron las ganas de ir al baño otra vez hasta la que salió el sol por la mañana...

Por suerte nos despertamos en una pieza y llegamos al Parque Nacional Yellowstone al día siguiente y nos quedamos 3 noches. Por cierto, Yellowstone fue el primer lugar del mundo declarado Parque Nacional, en 1872. Y es fácil ver por qué - nos enamoramos completamente del lugar ¡y sólo nos quedamos con ganas de haber podido pasar más tiempo para explorarlo en más detalle! Realmente es un paraíso para los amantes de la naturaleza, ¡lo tiene todo! Ríos, cascadas, géisers, pozas de barro hirviente, extensas llanuras, bosques, colinas.... y montones de animales, grandes y pequeños. Algo que no sabíamos cuando fuimos es que Yellowstone ocupa la caldera de un antiguo volcán (y uno gigantesco, de más de 50 kms de diámetro), y que aún está activo, de ahí que haya tanta actividad térmica. De hecho, el parque tiene más de la mitad de todos los géisers que existen ¡en todo el mundo! Hecho impresionante. Las vistas son espectaculares y los animales una gozada de ver.

Ibamos a dejar que las fotos contaran el resto... pero nos gustaría hacer algún otro comentario primero respecto a los animales... Nos quedamos algo chafados (muy chafados) de no ver ningún alce, pero sí que vimos un grizzly a varias leguas por el telescopio de un amable turista que llevaba observándolo horas. No era más que un punto en la distancia, pero aún así increíble, se le podía distinguir muy bien la típica joroba, incluso desde tan lejos. Más adelante también vimos un lobo cruzando una pradera.

Vimos más bisones de lo que nos podríamos haber imaginado nunca. La primera vez Mark pegó un frenazo exclamando "oooooh, dios mío, ¡es un bisón!", su voz llena de incredulidad al verlo pegado a la carretera, mientras que yo no perdí el tiempo y salí a sacarle doscientas fotos. Para cuando llegamos al tercer día, ni nos molestábamos en parar si veíamos uno, ¡a no ser que estuviera en nuestro carril bloqueando la carretera!

¡Y también vimos un oso negro! Este fue sin duda el momento más emocionante de la visita al parque. Nos encontramos con una congregación de coches aparcados de cualquier manera a un lado de la carretera, pero fue al ver el coche del guardaparques que nos dimos cuenta de que tenía que haber algo gordo digno de ver. Los guardas protegen la seguridad de los animales muy celosamente, asegurándose de que los turistas no se acercan a ellos más de lo necesario, y éste ni nos dejó cruzar la carretera. Pero aún así lo disfrutamos como monos, había un montón de gente sacándole fotos pero muy en silencio, todos maravillados de poder ver al oso husmeando y buscando insectos en la hierba, sin percatarse de nuestra presencia (o al menos sin mostrar el más mínimo interés). Mark tuvo que arrastrame de vuelta al coche porque yo me habría quedado ahí todo el día.

Después de dejar Yellowstone nos dirigimos al sur, hacia el área conocida como Las Cuatro Esquinas. Este área embarca el SE de Utah, el SO de Colorado, el NE de Arizona y el NO de Nuevo Mexico. Las fronteras entre estos cuatro estados son líneas rectas que forman cuatro ángulos rectos, y de ahí su nombre. Es más fácil ver a lo que nos referimos si echáis un vistazo al mapa más arriba. Todo ese área está llena de sitios históricos y naturales de gran interés, y se necesitarían más de dos semanas para verlo todo. Pero hicimos lo que pudimos y no se nos dió del todo mal, sólo nos perdimos Nuevo Mexico. La mayoría de los sitios que vimos están en el sur de Utah y de esto hablaremos en el próximo blog, pero hemos añadido aquí unas fotos del primer parque que vimos, el Parque Nacional Canyonlands ("tierra de cañones").

Con unas temperaturas a menudo por encima de los 40ºC, y sin sombra ni agua en la mayoría del parque, no nos aventuramos a ir de marcha aquí. La única otra forma de explorar el parque más en profundidad es en 4x4 por muchos caminos de cabras sin salida, pero como sólo teníamos un coche de alquiler baratillo, nuestra única opción fue recorrernos de arriba a abajo la única carretera asfaltada del parque y pararnos en los miradores para admirar llenos de asombro la enorme extensión de tierra que se extendía antes nuestros ojos y hasta donde nos alcanzaba la vista.

Aunque el paisaje es desolado, fue una buena introducción a Las Cuatro Esquinas y a los muchos Parques Nacionales que salpican el área, donde nos esperaban muchas sorpresas según continuamos con nuestra visita.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 36


Advertisement



6th February 2007

Going wild in the country
Hey there, long time no speaks! Sorry I've not been in touch for a while but I'm still here honest! It's -0.5 here this morning, we did have some snow last month which was very exciting as you can imagine :o) Now having had a brief escape to the wild country, I shall get back to the all important, life or death situation of yogurt planning. Life on the edge and all that. Oh btw off to Barcelona at the end of April. Take care guys xx
6th February 2007

Wildlife
The animals are amazing. Thank you, thank you for the lovely pics.

Tot: 0.369s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 20; qc: 111; dbt: 0.1512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb