Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Photos from Mazatlan
Blogs from Mazatlan
Latest Blogs from Mazatlan
- November 26th 2013 Sunsets, Stone Beds, and Horse Baths..... Just another day in Mazatlan!
by Words: 801 Photos: 15
- November 25th 2013 Horror Movie or Quaint Retreat?
by Words: 702 Photos: 5
- April 6th 2013 RVing in Mexico with Raymondo and Marsia - 2013
by Words: 994 Photos: 49
- March 22nd 2012 RVing in Mexico with Raymondo y Marsia -2012
by Words: 1140 Photos: 28
- January 7th 2012 Mazatlan
by Words: 279 Photos: 3
- December 7th 2011 The No Tell Motel
by Words: 863 Photos: 11
- March 11th 2011 Mazatlan
by Words: 229 Photos: 25
- January 31st 2011 Raymondo and Marsia's 2011 Mexican Vacation
by Words: 1080 Photos: 32
- January 19th 2011 Raymondo and Marsia's 2011 Mexican Vacation
by Words: 672 Photos: 38
- January 15th 2011 Viel Fun - Gemeinsames Fischen mit Helmut und Agnes
by Words: 460 Photos: 0
- January 7th 2011 In der Mangrovenwelt und am Strand - Fauna in Teacapan
by Words: 124 Photos: 21
- December 26th 2010 Ein besonderes Weihnachtsspektakel
by Words: 62 Photos: 6
- December 23rd 2010 Sonne, Sand und Meer - Wir sind in den Tropen gelandet!
by Words: 358 Photos: 17
- December 19th 2010 Zu Besuch auf der S/Y Paramita
by Words: 146 Photos: 22
- December 2nd 2010 If you like piña coladas and getting caught in the rain
by Words: 1502 Photos: 25
- February 18th 2010 Finally!
by Words: 68 Photos: 0
- February 16th 2010 Seattle to Mazatlan
by Words: 177 Photos: 44
- November 3rd 2009 Tropical Storms, Bed Bugs & Internet Fraud
by Words: 637 Photos: 3
- March 28th 2009 Heippa!
by Words: 270 Photos: 0
- March 20th 2009 Surffausta
by Words: 385 Photos: 0