San Luis Potosí
Background: The site of advanced Amerindian civilizations, Mexico came under Spanish rule for three centuries before achieving independence early in the 19th century. A devaluation of the peso in late 1994 threw Mexico into economic turmoil, triggering the worst recession in over half a century. The nation continues to make an impressive recovery. Ongoing economic and social concerns include low real wages, underemployment for a large segment of the population, inequitable income distribution, and few advancement opportunities for the largely Amerindian population in the impoverished southern states. Elections held in July 2000 marked the first time since the 1910 Mexican Revolution that the opposition defeated the party in government, the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Vicente FOX of the National Action Party (PAN) was sworn in on 1 December 2000 as the first chief executive elected in free and fair elections.
Photos from San Luis Potosí
Blogs from San Luis Potosí
Latest Blogs from San Luis Potosí
- September 19th 2011 Independence Day Weekend
by Words: 740 Photos: 12
- November 23rd 2010 ...you and the horse you rode in on
by Words: 1208 Photos: 34
- November 19th 2010 Hells Bells
by Words: 717 Photos: 5
- April 28th 2010 Surreal goings on in the surrealist garden.. this could get interesting...
by Words: 1275 Photos: 20
- January 8th 2010 Real de Catorce, SAN LUIS POTOSÍ.
by Words: 1149 Photos: 73
- October 11th 2009 Free range donkeys and the closed tunnel
by Words: 815 Photos: 9
- March 10th 2009 still in Xilitla
by Words: 336 Photos: 35
- March 5th 2009 Michy and Git in Wonderland
by Words: 991 Photos: 41
- January 4th 2009 Concrete Fear
by Words: 1110 Photos: 0
- January 4th 2009 On the Nature of Compassion
by Words: 447 Photos: 0
- December 12th 2008 What Should I Eat First, the Chicken or the Egg?
by Words: 348 Photos: 0
- October 31st 2008 Real de Catorce...
by Words: 238 Photos: 0
- October 25th 2008 Mexercise
by Words: 686 Photos: 0
- October 22nd 2008 Danger - Falling Cattle Zone
by Words: 1183 Photos: 2
- October 17th 2008 Release the Clowns
by Words: 604 Photos: 1
- October 9th 2008 Enter the weird world of surrealism...
by Words: 493 Photos: 5
- October 5th 2008 Beans
by Words: 602 Photos: 0
- October 4th 2008 An Empty Vessel
by Words: 634 Photos: 0
- September 27th 2008 MIS - Mexican International Speedway
by Words: 681 Photos: 1
- September 27th 2008 Mexican Journal part 1 & 2
by Words: 1260 Photos: 0