Water World


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Quintana Roo » Isla Holbox
February 13th 2011
Published: February 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We took the 11:30 pm bus out of Merida, from one of the second class bus stations. No other gringos in sight....We picked up a couple from Chicago later in the night. The bus was quite new and had good seats, and best of all, since it was second class, no blaring violent movies!

We took the "free" (non-toll) road through all the towns and villages, and over hundreds of topes. We arrived in a very windy Chiquila around 5:30 am, having gotten a bit of sleep on the bus. We were taken to the ferry by a bicycle cab, and then had to wait in the wind (thankfully the rain had stopped) for the 6:00 am ferry to Isla Holbox (Hol-boash).

Once on the island, it became quickly clear that they had experiened really heavy rains recently. At times the puddles were small lakes, covering the road with a few feet of water! Our golf cart taxi successfully negotiated its way to our hotel, where the manager had lrft our key on the desk....we were ready for bed, but the doors weren't marked in any way and we were afraid to get the wrong room and startle the occupants. Finally found the room, napped, had a breakfast and walked the beach, looking for a hotel to move to after our two nights here are up. We had to walk the beach since the roads are still underwater. Found a place....less than here, and the room is closer to the beach.

We will try to bike to a beach that is sheltered from the wind this afternoon. The island is much like a quieter Isla Mujeres and also reminds us of Caye Caulker. Many businesses are owned by Italians, and there is a mix of European and American tourists. Kite boarding is really popular. The beaches aren't as nice as Isla Mujeres, but once the wind dies down, it looks like I'll be able to swim.

Monday Morning

After a chilly evening (I finally put on four layers, including two sweaters, in order to eat dinner comfortably last night!), we woke to a cloudless sky, less wind, and continued quiet. I've been for a beach run, meditated, and had coffee...ready for breakfast and some reading under the palm trees....


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Reading in bedReading in bed
Reading in bed

We have mosquito netting here, but no mosquitoes so far...


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb