Off the beaten path in Mexico


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Nayarit » Rincon de Guayabitos
March 10th 2009
Published: June 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Punta Raza 1Punta Raza 1Punta Raza 1

David Tracey and jeff on the trail
Off the beaten path along the coast of the state Nayarit is full of wonderous surprises,from hot springs to pertroglthes which are over 500 years old..... to sucluded beaches miles long with only a few people.
We have had to pleasure of meeting some wonderful people that have been generous enough to share the hidden secrets down the dirt roads off the hwy and away from the tourist towns.




Our first stop is the Punta Raza 1 which is a look out point past Los Ayalas south of Rincon de Guayabitos ,our tour guides for this trip where Jacquie and Dave. We drove to Los Ayalas to the start of the trail and hiked up to the point about 2km's through the jungle on a fairly well used trail. The palms and other vegation towering over head made the hike quiet bearable as they provide ample shade. The veiw was spectaular to say the least.




Next stop Jamurrca which is about 20 km north of Rincon on hwy 15 at hwy marker 69km, a natural hotsprings gravity feeds into a large 20' x 40' concrete pool, what a great way to spend the
The whole thingThe whole thingThe whole thing

Thie veiw is of Los Ayalas , Rincon de Guayabitos and Playa Mora
day after a hike up a moutain.Our guides this time are Tony and Loriane. The springs are surrounded by fruit trees and mountains which makes for a wounderful veiw. They had recently installed a changing room and modern bathroom all for $ 2.50 . They also supply BBQ grills and Palapas for shade and chairs , the water in the pool was around 85 F to 90 F depending how close you where in the main input line. We then drove to Playa Chapala for a lunch on the beach of the beatuiful cove of the Pacific Ocean. The small fishing village is rumoured to be one of the next tourist sites and like the rest of the coast won't stay quaint for long....












A short drive north on hwy 15 , then down a back road about 4km's you pull into a small parking lot at the enterance to the trail ,pay you $1.50 to Pedro the fellow who maintians the trails.
The Pertoglthes at this site we went to are stone craving done before the Spanish invaided Mexico in 1524, the actual date they where created
The gate to heavenThe gate to heavenThe gate to heaven

Stay as lomg as you want for $ 2.50 per person.
is unknown.with that being said they are over 500 yrs old and are still in amazing condition. I'll post all the sign boards that are along the trail which we traveled as they hold some pretty neat insite to what your looking at. The site is called La Pila Del Rey it's on the Piletas creek and we hiked up the creek to find the Pertoglthes with Jacquie , Dave ,Tracey and her hubby David, Jeff and myself along with our travelling puppies Meisha , Scooter, and Chewy.

Note - To read the signs you'll need to open them with a single left click.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

JamurrcaJamurrca
Jamurrca

Natural hot springs to sooth away your troubles.
ParidiseParidise
Paridise

The pool with a veiw....
Shadey retreatShadey retreat
Shadey retreat

These are the palapas we had at the hot springs , with Tony , Loraine, Jeff and Meisha sucking it up.
Playa ChapalaPlaya Chapala
Playa Chapala

Lunch in paradise anyone?
Playa Chapala churchPlaya Chapala church
Playa Chapala church

They don't have steeple for their bell at this church , it's hung out in a tree in the yard in front.
Bell...Bell...
Bell...

Large trees used for church bell?
Trail head signTrail head sign
Trail head sign

This the beginning to the Petroglyhtes
Sign #2Sign #2
Sign #2

The Tecoquin
Sign # 3Sign # 3
Sign # 3

The throat cutters
Sign # 4Sign # 4
Sign # 4

Last of the Tecoquines
Sign #5Sign #5
Sign #5

Tecuales
sign #6sign #6
sign #6

Water cycle
Sign # 7Sign # 7
Sign # 7

Cosmic tree
Sign #8Sign #8
Sign #8

Warfare - Trophy heads
Sign # 9Sign # 9
Sign # 9

Tlalocan -Water
WaterWater
Water

Sacrifices to water gods were common.They supplied the main ingredient for survial.
Sign # 10Sign # 10
Sign # 10

Maize god - The devoted Christ
Maize GodMaize God
Maize God

The symbol for fertilaty god of corn


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb