Hot and Humid LaPenita


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Nayarit » Rincon de Guayabitos
November 4th 2008
Published: November 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone,

Here we are in LaPenita. It is very hot and humid. The humidity should subside in a few weeks, they say and I remember it from last time.

we had a good trip down here. We left home Oct 13th, drove the first day to a nice campground on the Columbia River. Very breezy. I guess thats why it is the Windsurfing capital of the world or Washington anyway. We drove down through the Reno area. It was very hilly, up and down most of the way. Arrived in Tehachapi, Ca, close to Bakersfield to visit our friends James and Karen. Larry and James golfed in a tournement and Larry came home with a Slow cooker. It has been nice to have especially since it is so hot inside. We set it up in the morning and by 6PM dinner is ready.

Met up with 2 other couples from our 2006 caravan at James and Karens' so carried on to Palm Springs with Faye and Fred. It was great. Beautiful campground, hot weather, cool at night. All the right stuff. Spent a few nights there then carried on to Tucson to meet up with the caravan.
The trip downThe trip downThe trip down

Only in Mexico does a person work on their vehicle on the main street with 18 rigs bouncing by
18 rigs arrived into the park ready to carry on to Mexico as a group. Lots of great people. Had 36 new friends before we even crossed the border.

Crossed the border into Mexico on Monday, Oct 27th. We arrived in LaPenita on Friday Oct 31st. We were a day early but the campground in Mazatlan was the pits so we all agreed that we would just arrive a day early. Considering the leasee of the park here was on the caravan, it was no problem. We were all tired and ready to sit for a few days when we arrived. First day out, it was about 39 degrees and we realized that we had broken a trailer spring. Thankfully we realized it at a Pemex gas station and the Mexican are always very helpful. The gas jockey, Jose, phoned his brother from the pay phone and we came with his friend and for $40 they had the thing jacked up and replaced in an hour or so. Larry had brought a couple of spare springs so it was not a huge deal except that it was sooooo hot. Of course, Larry is bound and determined that he can replace it himself but for $40 why would he. Even when the Mechanicos arrived he was under there and they were watching!! Finally, he agreed that they should be under the trailer and he should be watching. Of course, our caravan has a tail gunner that is there to pick up the pieces etc along the way. So they stopped but we were obviously in good hands and only 20 kms from our next campground so we were fine. It could have been much worse. Parts are a real issue down here so the fact that Larry had spare springs made it so much better.

The whole way down here was on Toll roads which were pretty good. Better then 2 years ago. We spent about $200 USD on tolls but it is worth every penny.

The park is lovely. Everyone is getting setup and that can take some people days. They bring everything but the kitchen sink and some even bring that!! We are pretty lean campers, not many frills but very comfortable. The pool is warm and lovely. Town is great except the roads are still the same as 2006 just the pot holes are bigger and deeper.

I haven't taken many pix yet but will send a couple and try to take some more before next time I write.

We have rented our trailer for a couple of weeks but still have Dec 30th to Jan 14th available if anyone is interested. Lots of activities, great pool and Happy Hour everynight.

We have hired a Mexican lady to cook for our street in the campground on Saturday night. Should be fun and delicious. I will send some pix next time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

the mechanicosthe mechanicos
the mechanicos

Check out the mechanics VW!!


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb