Morelia Film Fest


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Michoacán » Morelia
October 16th 2009
Published: October 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

catedralcatedralcatedral

By night, the city looked amazing. They had just invested thousands of dollars in lighting for the downtown area...worth it.
Well Campers, thanks for waiting it out for this blog. I have finally left the State of Puebla on a weekend adventure. Last Sunday began the 7th annual Festival internacional de Cine de Morelia. I thought it would be a great opportunity to visit some other parts of Mexico. Fernanda and I started off on Thursday afternoon after our classes. We took a short bus ride to the toll booth leaving Puebla ,which cost roughly $1, and started looking for a ride. After literally 2 or 3 minutes asking we got a ride to Mexico DF with a nice middle aged gentleman who spoke English nearly fluently. It turns out he had a friend from MN who was coming down to Puebla with her husband for their honeymoon and was going to pick them up in Mexico DF, Small world!
We were dropped off at the Metro station in downtown Mexico City at about 4 pm. From there we paid the 15 cent fare for the metro and rode to the last stop where the bus station was. (You will start noticing a pattern here with entering, and leaving cities when hitch-hiking, basically you will only get a ride if
Another ChurchAnother ChurchAnother Church

Mexico definitely does not lack in churchs, and they are all beautifull.
you are a good distance outside of the city and at a place where it is not dangerous for you or the driver to stop or be picked up. So the best way to leave a city is pay a short bus ride to the outskirts of the city and the toll booths are usually great places to ask for rides because the traffic is already stopped.) That is exactly what we did leaving Mexico DF but this time we paid the bus ride to take us to the next town of Toluca, because Toluca is pretty much a part of Mexico City. From there we got a ride fairly fast at the toll booth and made it the other 3 hours to Morelia with another middle aged gentleman who lived there, he was even kind enough to drop us right in the heart of the city, The Cathedral.
We arrived at about 10 pm and still had a bit of energy which is important when arriving into a city you do not know. We called our friends Gustavo and Edgar who had arrived on Wednesday to have them meet us at the Cathedral. They arrived in about 2 min,
The CrewThe CrewThe Crew

From left to right, Edgar, Laura, Paco, Maria, Me and Gustavo.
because Morelia is a fairly small city and the Film festival locations were all located in the downtown area. We had arranged a place to stay through couchsurfing.com with a 22 yr old Morelian named Paco Mendez. He came to meet us at 1030 that night and from there we went to his house. We were welcomed with open arms by mom, dad and the rest of his family. They were already preparing a light dinner of quesadillas and refried beans when we got there. After that we went to get to know the city for a few hours before hitting the sack.
I must say that Morelia is a beautiful town and I like it a bit more than Puebla for a few reasons. Puebla is expensive; nearly double the price of Morelia for most things in fact. Morelia is also a beautiful colonial city like Puebla but the city is better taken care of. Some examples; in Puebla the Cathedral and the entire city are beautiful but covered in grime from the years where as in Morelia they are immaculately clean, in Puebla you can see loose cement squares and broken drains on the sidewalk where as in
GutterGutterGutter

A pretty looking gutter
Morelia every bit of the city is taken care of, the curbs have metal corners, the sewer covers have beautiful engravings and the streets do not have speed bumps or potholes on every block. Oh and the drivers are more courteous and people are generally more friendly in Morelia. I think Puebla has a lot of potential to be like Morelia, but the fact that it is so large makes it hard to keep up with a small city like Morelia.
The next morning we woke up around 930 to a wonderful breakfast from the Mendez’s. We all bathed and were off to the theatre. The film festival was taking place at 4 locations, the Morelia Casa de Arte, Morelia Museo municipal and two Cinepolis theatres (Cinepolis is like AMC here). We wanted to take a quick stroll through the Municipal museum before catching a free screening of The making of a rock band at one. None of us were two interested in the movie, but it was free and there were no other screenings at the time. We showed up after our museum stroll and saw an enormous line and decided to skip it. Anyways, I won’t bore you
GustavoGustavoGustavo

Pensive Gustavo
with the details of all of the movies but I do recommend checking out the following; Children of the Decree, Whisper With the Wind, The Imaginarium of Dr Parnasus.
So after three days of film I was ready to head back home and get back to my classes. We left Sunday afternoon after a stroll through downtown with Paco. I was feeling a bit sick from something I ate so I was really itching to get on the road. We paid a short one hour bus ride and then hitched 4 hours to Mexico city and were back in Puebla by 12 pm after paying the 2 hr bus ride from Mexico city.Hope you enjoyed the short story of my adventure to Morelia. Stay in touch! Remember to send me emails updating me on your life! I miss you all!
Love Jake



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

EdgarEdgar
Edgar

Fishing for photos
MariaMaria
Maria

and a flower... Mike, remember these flowers from the blarney stone last summer?? There were a ton of them at this Cafe, good memories...


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb