The $3.50 lunch....


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Guadalajara
February 6th 2014
Published: February 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Lunch in the market..Lunch in the market..Lunch in the market..

Delicious and so very inexpensive...and everyone was so helpful and amused to have us there....
We got a fairly good night's sleep (but we did change out the fleece sheet for a regular one this morning...! A bit too cozy..) and woke refreshed this morning. I went for run after coffee and saw a few other joggers, but they were all male...

We had an omelet made from ingredients I picked up at the street market yesterday, along with fresh papaya and avocados...and then we walked about 3 miles to the old historic district, through streets lined with interesting one and two story buildings of all colors and kinds.

We got to what we thought was the main cathedral and went inside to look and rest...as we read the guide book, nothing inside matched and we realized we were not where we thought we were....another 5-6 blocks to go!

Once arrived in the Centro Historico, we visited the Cathedral, the teatro, and an orphanage turned arts center. We saw only several other non-Mexican tourists all day...and the ones we met were from Vancouver, BC, and Bellingham...!

We snacked and had mojitos on the plaza...shopped for a small backpack ($3.00) and reading glasses ($1.50) since I don't want to carry my good ones in my purse...and then walked to the big indoor market where we had a late lunch ($3.70 each...).

We took a cab home since Bill's knees are bothering him....and could actually help the cab driver find our place....thank goodness for grids in cities!

Everyone here has been so nice and helpful...it is safe everywhere we've been, day or evening...the cab driver told us not believe what we hear on the news! Because of the absence of highrises in much of the city, each area has the feel of a village, with its own shops and services....There are computer and clothing stores, party supply shops, pharmacies and vet clinics, auto repair places and small establishments that appear to be lifted right out of the early 1900s: ancient printing presses and old sewing machines still in use. I even came across a stable which rented horses for commercial use, only a few blocks from our house! There is traffic on the arterials, but sidestreets (like ours) are quiet. At night, silence reigns!

I went for walk alone this evening, and was greeted by neighbors sitting outside and kids playing in the street: bike and scooters, jump rope, and a
A chapel in the CathedralA chapel in the CathedralA chapel in the Cathedral

The Cathedral was begun in 1558 and contains a Jesus that is not white...along with the hands and blood of a martyred young saint.
trio of girls pushing doll carriages in the deepening dusk...! The orange trees planted along the streets smell especially sweet at night....


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Cathredral and plazaCathredral and plaza
Cathredral and plaza

Had 2 for 60 pesos mojitos here ($4.50), and really good guacamole...
Building on the left is being beautifully renovatedBuilding on the left is being beautifully renovated
Building on the left is being beautifully renovated

It house something to do with the courts...
Entrance to the CabanasEntrance to the Cabanas
Entrance to the Cabanas

a former orphanage with 37 courtyards...
Murals by Orozco from 1938-1939Murals by Orozco from 1938-1939
Murals by Orozco from 1938-1939

"They seethe with dark, unnerving, and distinctly modern images...."
Corner storeCorner store
Corner store

Most of these are closed off with grills. You ask the owner for what you want and it is passed to you...no browsing


7th February 2014

Main Plaza
Glad you got to see the Orozco murals. The weird sculptures/chairs that used to be in the area outside the museum don't appear in your photos….maybe they're gone. I like your apartment. Which neighborhood is it in? Carol
8th February 2014

What\'s the temperature?
8th February 2014

Temps
It's in the high 70's during the day and low 40's at night...very pleasant!

Tot: 0.525s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 29; qc: 107; dbt: 0.2113s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb